Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Adonian Bestiary

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Adonian Bestiary   Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:36 pm

Ok, so this is basically just a topic for sharing ideas on enemies and monsters right at this time, as well as ideas on how the bestiary itself is gonna work (how it's organized, what exactly goes in here, etc.). Over time, obviously we can start actually compiling a list of general monsters. Just keep in mind that this is sort of a group thing, so hopefully I won't be the only one who ever adds anything to this thing (tho I'm not sure how much I WILL add to it myself...). Even if you don't have the powers of a mod or admin, feel free to write entries for monsters yourself elsewhere, and someone else can add them here. Feel free to share ideas and such now, and let discussions flow. Right now, we also need to work out a sort of format for how entries will be written as well, so that should probably be one of the first things settled on.

I'll be adding a few monsters I myself had thought of for Adonia... Sometime in the future. Hence why I wanted to be the one who made the topic. In any case, have fun.

Slime Family:

Beast Family:

Dragon/Reptile/Amphibious Family:

Insectoid/Arachnoid/Crustaceoid Family:

Avian Family:

Plant Family:

Material Family:

Machine Family:

Undead Family:

Demonic Family:

Spirit Family:

Elemental Family:

Humanoid Family

Aquatic Family:

Pokemon Family:

Unclassified/Other:

Last edited by SmashBasher123 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:07 pm; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:37 pm

:v
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:45 pm

FLYING BOOGER MAN *stabbed several thousand times*

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Zerdark
Emperor of the Multiverse

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Maybe we just have the name of the monster along with a brief description. The description could include the natural habitat of the monster along with why it is dangerous. (Or not dangerous). Possibly a picture if we have one. Though if we include pictures, we may have to use the spoiler feature to save space.

Also, maybe we should group them by type. If we have multiple slime based enemies, we keep those together. Creatures such as wolves and bears can be kept in a "wildlife" section. Dragons in a dragon section, or group them together under "wyrms". Creatures like goblins could be kept under a "humanoid" section along with actual human bandits or something.

By the way, the creatures I mentioned are my suggestions. (Yes, bandits have been downgraded to creature because fuck them).

http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Well yeah, they'd definitely be categorized in SOME way, else it's just be a big clusterfuck :0

Bosses and such (at least the ones that don't merit full bios) should probably be categorized separately as well, I feel.
Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:44 pm

I can live with bosses having their own category.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:30 pm

How about starting a section and an entry:

'Drakes'
A more primitive offshoot of the standard dragon, they are quadrupeds, and cannot fly. They often have extremely environmental adaptations.

Combustion Drake
Residing in volcanic zones, this species is a carnivore and geovore, consuming large amounts of volcanic rock. It threatens encroachers and attackers with large tusks and jagged scales, but more particularly its explosive 'breath'. It can exude a highly combustible gas, and can subsequently ignite it, creating large explosions. It is sensitive to the gas, and has a large supply. It lives in areas with similar gases when young, and wanders cooler, more sterile areas when grown. They are found alone.

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:37 pm

Lao-ShanTux wrote:
How about starting a section and an entry:

'Drakes'
A more primitive offshoot of the standard dragon, they are quadrupeds, and cannot fly. They often have extremely environmental adaptations.

Combustion Drake
Residing in volcanic zones, this species is a carnivore and geovore, consuming large amounts of volcanic rock. It threatens encroachers and attackers with large tusks and jagged scales, but more particularly its explosive 'breath'. It can exude a highly combustible gas, and can subsequently ignite it, creating large explosions. It is sensitive to the gas, and has a large supply. It lives in areas with similar gases when young, and wanders cooler, more sterile areas when grown. They are found alone.

I would add a "typically" before "found alone". Because hey, you never know. Just a general suggestion for the wording of these entries. Shouldn't make them too concrete because there are almost always exceptions to the rule. Like for instance maybe you typically find vampires in caves, but a few decided to harass a town because plot reasons which I may or may not have an idea for.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:37 pm

Right, right, I have no idea where that went. Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:52 pm

If we're doing that, I suggest another entry in that category.

Common Draccus
The common draccus is an enormous herbivorous species that inhabits heavily wooded areas. Its diet consists of trees and, to aid in their digestion, rocks. When it is young, the mother nurses the draccus and delivers to it rocks high in iron. Without this iron content, it will not survive to adulthood. As iron mining grew, common draccus nests were destroyed, so the species is endangered. The adult draccus' scales have a large amount of iron in them, making it heavy and well armored. Its hide beneath is resistant to magic. It is incredibly tough to defeat, but also hard to provoke. Most deaths from draccus attacks were caused by sport hunting. Draccus can be very destructive due to their size and strength, and their surprising speed when charging. Nests of young draccus may be found in abandoned mines or caves near forests. Adult draccus can be found very rarely in forests near these nests. The largest family of draccus lives peacefully in the darkest areas of that one huge forest.

Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:57 pm

Oh, quick side suggestion:
Stuff like drakes and other 'elites' should be kept low in population, which we probably already figured.

Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:06 pm

Yes. The "Common" in the name merely suggests that the draccus is a subcategory of drake, and has its own variations.

Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Yeah, but I didn't mention anything of that sort in mine so I figured I'd put that out there

Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:13 pm

Lao-ShanTux wrote:
Dodongo

ftfy :V

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:17 pm

But Dodongos don't blow up :0
...Don't they?
Though if you want them to be named that
The name there was a generic placeholder basically

Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:30 pm

*shot*

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:53 pm

I'm pretty sure they do in fact blow up, but I don't want them to be called that. Although I might have to make a DRAKES DISLIKE SMOKE joke at some point :V

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:47 pm

Delicious_Fsteak wrote:
DRAKES DISLIKE SMOKE

WHAT ABOUT JOSHES? *slapped*

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:46 pm

Stuff should remain strictly natural, I assume?
Meaning, like, NOT hellspawn.

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:56 pm

Harriet Drake
A variant of drake that resides in polar lands. It is an aggressive predator, and considers a massive amount of land its territory. Its name is derived from this authoritative tendency, and the long, flowing coat of fur that covers its body. It wards off enemies with jagged talons, fangs, and a virus that cuts off circulation. Victims bitten will usually suffer frostbite shortly afterwards. It is a carnivore, but vastly prefers fresh meat. It rarely travels in packs, considering its highly competitive nature.

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Plainsdrake
A low-population apex predator that lives in, as its name suggests, the plains. It will only be found in flat, temperate areas greater than a certain size, and it has no special traits to note. It is an omnivore, but prefers meat, especially to sustain its great bulk. While short by drake standards, reaching only 5' in height and 9' in length, it can weigh up to 6500lbs from sheer muscle. It tends to avoid campsites. Like most drakes, it typically travels alone.

Also, add to the drake section description:
'Generally around 7'x12' in dimensions, and weigh around 5000lbs'
I'll do metric conversions later when I have a computer in front of me, forum's lag as hell.

Back to top Go down
Yikkin
Mister Doctor Professor Yikkario
Mister Doctor Professor Yikkario

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:11 pm

Adonia will be much more hazardous than Cipher then? At least in the wild portions?

My Bios

"We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville."
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:27 pm

Giant Cannibalistic Scorpions
These scorpions make their homes on sandy beaches and deserts near water sources. They spend a great deal of their time in water, as water keeps their venom sacs fresh. There are always aggressive except under the light of the full moon, when they are deceptively docile, but die the next morning. They die over their eggs, and another lunar cycle must pass before the eggs hatch, on the morning after the full moon. The young feed off the decaying body of the mother, provided it has not been eaten by a rival. The young reach maturity at new moon, which is when they lay their eggs. If they live to adulthood they can reach the size of a rhinoceros. They are lethally venomous and poisonous to all species except themselves, and a starving scorpion has been known to devour legs that are unnecessary in comparison to their longevity. Scientists have long marveled at how brutally they fight and devour each other to stay alive, yet ultimately die so soon. The best time to harvest the body for potion ingredients is dawn after the full moon, when the young ones have yet to hatch. They reproduce asexually, with each mother needing only to lay an egg for the offspring to hatch. When all the meat has been eaten off the dead ones, the solid stinger is taken and driven into the sand to mark the border of the nesting ground, where the remaining venom melts the sand around it and petrifies in a lunar cycle to a crystallic spike. These spikes cannot be removed from the ground, though scientists have tried many methods.

It isn't a terrible or atrocious idea, it just needs a bit of balancing and it could work.

Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Some regular mobs now, we have enough drakes for now, I think

Minor Roc
Large birds that dwell on the plains. They have a wingspan of about 32', and have minimal weight. They tend to target bullpups for food, but have no qualms about attacking humans or larger creatures. They travel in large flocks of about a dozen, and attack with dagger-like talons. Their beak is unsuited for combat.

Bullpups
Residents of the plains, they are shorter, stockier boars. They are about 2' long and weigh about 80lbs, with most of their weight concentrated in the hindlegs. They are capable of top speeds of 15mph, and can knock down an adult human with ease. They travel in large groups of 20 or often more. They are omnivorous, but only scavenge their meat. They are not easily provoked, and will even tolerate being pet. They are, however, easily spooked by their natural predators, minor rocs. They are said to have poor-tasting flesh.

Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Here's an idea.

Vampire
Undead humanoids with a thirst for blood. They are typically found in caves or other dark areas during the day. At night, they often wander the area near their respective lairs in search of an unlucky traveler. Sometimes they hide in unsuspecting villages under the guise of a normal villager. They are pretty weak against fire and solar magic. Contrary to popular belief, they actually can go out during the day, but most vampires prefer not to as it can be uncomfortable. Some vampires are also actually pretty friendly, content to drink tomato juice and red wines as alternatives to blood in an effort to coexist with humans. Not all vampires are friendly though, so travelers should stay cautious.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   

Back to top Go down

Adonian Bestiary
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Information/Vault :: Races and Creatures-
Jump to: