Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Adonian Bestiary

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Adonian Bestiary   Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok, so this is basically just a topic for sharing ideas on enemies and monsters right at this time, as well as ideas on how the bestiary itself is gonna work (how it's organized, what exactly goes in here, etc.). Over time, obviously we can start actually compiling a list of general monsters. Just keep in mind that this is sort of a group thing, so hopefully I won't be the only one who ever adds anything to this thing (tho I'm not sure how much I WILL add to it myself...). Even if you don't have the powers of a mod or admin, feel free to write entries for monsters yourself elsewhere, and someone else can add them here. Feel free to share ideas and such now, and let discussions flow. Right now, we also need to work out a sort of format for how entries will be written as well, so that should probably be one of the first things settled on.

I'll be adding a few monsters I myself had thought of for Adonia... Sometime in the future. Hence why I wanted to be the one who made the topic. In any case, have fun.

Slime Family:

Beast Family:

Dragon/Reptile/Amphibious Family:

Insectoid/Arachnoid/Crustaceoid Family:

Avian Family:

Plant Family:

Material Family:

Machine Family:

Undead Family:

Demonic Family:

Spirit Family:

Elemental Family:

Humanoid Family

Aquatic Family:

Pokemon Family:

Unclassified/Other:

Last edited by SmashBasher123 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:07 pm; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:39 pm

I think keep the bestiary descriptions shorter than the previous examples that were posted. There are going to be a lot of things in here. Maybe just do spoilers for their description. Brief descriptions, a little tidbit showing what their combat assets and flaws are, weaknesses, etc. and then move on to the next. There are going to be waaaaaaay too many different creatures to do full things for them. Just propose a monster, and if it gets the okay, post a pic maybe and a brief description, their combat abilities summarized, and leave it.

Back to top Go down
Zerdark
Emperor of the Multiverse

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:58 pm

Wouldn't the descriptions get kinda long anyway? If we're detailing combat abilities, assets, flaws, and possibly habitat, they could get long depending on the monster.

http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:37 pm

I'd rather keep the descriptions at the length they are, at least like mine(since I don't remember the length of Tod's), yeah. It's a fairly brief summary of the monster itself, and since these things are supposed to be organic(in the behavioral sense), they should have an appropriate amount of information.

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:11 am

Example:

Lich-
Type:Undead
Strengths: Strong Magic (other things etc.)
Weaknesses: Holy magic (other things etc.)
Description: Often such a creature is the result of a transformation, as a powerful magician or king striving for eternal life uses spells or rituals to bind his intellect to his phylactery and thereby achieve a form of immortality.

Short, sweet, right to the point. Bosses can have longer more details descriptions, but for run of the mill monsters...which most would not call a lich run of the mill but...anyhow run of the mill monsters don't need huge detailed descriptions. For things like....a regular drake...and a fire drake, take the description from the drake, and add the tid bit that is relative to fire...leave out things that don't apply. We don't need to know these creatures like family members, and gently coax them into growth like a character. One brief description is all it needs.

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:20 am

Well the added bits serve as sorta world building and give the monsters a little bit more of a general basic personality than just being there for people to kill, IMO. I'm not saying we make super long descriptions or anything, short ones are fine by me personally, that's just my take on it :0
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:00 am

The thing is, that tells a fair bit of nothing about the situations they'd be likely to appear in. With a little bit of ecology, it becomes a lot easier to say 'oh they'd be around here yea' than the description for liches you have.
For example, I'd add that they usually hang out around magic-saturated areas, or that they tend to pursue the goals of their past life, SOMETHING more than how they are made.

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:14 am

It's not like the descriptions we have are THAT much longer than that, anyhow. Most of them at least :0
Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:18 am

I don't see how a longer description hurts if people are willing to put in the effort. If it ends up not fitting or something it can always be changed.

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:06 pm

I am not talking about down the line when we have the entire RP worked out, and if people want to put in the effort. I am talking about getting up a basic bestiary with a list of monsters, and not limiting them to too specific an area, because we barely even have those areas figured out. Some of these ARE just here for us to kill them. Like I said, we aren't talking about bosses, we are talking about a list of monsters we can pull out in case people can't think of something to fight. You have a bunch of people doing a quest that wasn't planned or plotted out, the person setting up encounters has a list of things they can throw at the adventurers. Can balance enemy groups by their type, undead etc.(not to say only undead travel together) and how they fight. When we get all the locations set up, and a general idea of the way the world flows around Adonia, we can fine tune once we get set up. Add more details to those bestiary entries. I am sorry if I didn't specify I wasn't trying to knock people wanting to put more work and more information in. I am just trying to help speed up the process of getting a "starter" bestiary up, so to speak. Like...OH! Like Yugioh cards. I am not sure how many of you have played yugioh, or like yugioh, I don't even play, but I like the cards. In fact....that is a good idea...

We could use those as references for making monsters. They have element types, monster types, pictures, and short descriptions that WE can expand upon once we get set up. Of course...not saying all the monsters have to be from that source, just saying we could use things like that AS sources. Like how we did using a generated map.

TL;DR : Sorry, I only meant we could use basic description for now until we get set up better to fine tune our monsters to fit everything, and we can use Yugioh Cards (and similar sources) as reference for monster entries.

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Well that sounds fine. I intended to fine-tune some of these more as time goes on anyhow sooo Razz
Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Alright, I can live with short descriptions for now as long as we can get creative later. I've just never been good with length limits/requirements.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:20 pm

Well I think we still need a couple more basic beasts, so...here are two very basic ideas.

Gray Wolf
Residing in grasslands and forests, these hunters prey on weaker wildlife. They typically won't bother travelers unless either hungry or provoked. These wolves are known for being territorial so they can be easy to provoke. Often hunt in small packs.

Bear
Bears are widespread, appearing in a variety of different habitats around the world. With the exception of courting individuals and mothers with their young, bears are typically solitary animals.  Their diets mostly consist of plants and are opportunistic omnivores. All bears are physically powerful and are likely capable of fatally attacking a person, but they for the most part are shy, are easily frightened, and will avoid humans. It is recommended to give all bears a wide berth because they are behaviorally unpredictable.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:18 am

Jackwolf (Beast Family, Canines)

A wily species of canine, these large hyena-esque dogs live in various environments with temperate climates. They hunt in small packs ranging from a few to a dozen, and team up take on large prey. They are extremely agile and capable of great strength, but their stamina is lacking, and are terrified by fire and magic. They tend to skirt around people, but will occasionally attack small parties.

Grey Demons (Subset of Demon Family)
Five extremely powerful archdemons whose names have been lost to history, they possessed powers that reflected the composition of the world and resided in a realm apart from the prime plane. Only a few scholars know of them and the designs they had on this world long ago. Since that era, they have each been sealed or have vanished.

Pazhou, Grey Demon of Life
A Grey Demon who controlled the force of life, he took on the self-imposed role of an 'early reaper', wiping out entire towns with his deadly touch. With each soul absorbed, he grew stronger, until a legendary warrior defeated him and sealed him away.

Sram, Grey Demon of Matter
A Grey Demon who could freely manipulate the matter he came into contact with, he sought to consume the planet, and lives on in the myths of the 'World-Eater'. He was infamous for his aggression, as well as his cruelty, when the myths were alive.

Ketoule, Grey Demon of Energy
A Grey Demon that could control nearly every form of energy, she often took on the form of a wrathful goddess of tremors. Her tyranny was shortlived, as after she was defeated by a band of warriors, she vanished completely.

Chrono, Grey Demon of Time
The most powerful Grey Demon, he was said to have control over the fabric of time, and is believed to have rewritten history to suit his ends. A very old myth only told in the far north claims that he was the only Grey Demon to not hold hostilities towards the prime world, but was sealed regardless, due to his status as a Grey Demon.

Fluid, Grey Demon of Dark
A Grey Demon, the details of whom have been forgotten entirely. The only mention of its name is on a small urn resting in ARK's Terian artifact repository.

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:33 am

Clay Golem (Material family)
Possibly the most common form of golem, these hulking constructs serve under powerful mages, utilizing their brute strength. Sometimes they are seen as guardians, but they are most often used as individual servants.

Iron Golem (Material family)
Essentially a massive, animated suit of armor, these magical creations serve as guardians of temples and other holy places long since buried. Some can be found guarding active locations, such as the God's Six in Montilles, but a majority have fallen into neglect along with their charges.

Steel Titan (Machine family)
A peculiar construct usually only seen in Ziman lands and colonies, it is constructed of various complex mechanisms and gizmos. Towering at eight feet tall, weighing over 4000lbs, it is truly a fearsome figure. As of now, limited by short-lived batteries, they are only seen under control of workers, but as batteries improve, they may see service in combat. Certainly, their incredible power would be sought after.

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:48 am

Common Treehawk
The basic bird of prey, they reside in forested areas and prey on smaller denizens of the woods. They don't pose much threat to adventurers, but a smart explorer would pay mind to their songs; They end when a predator is nearby.

Greater Roc
Enormous avians that reside only in mountainous regions, they can be as large as a dragon, and are much more aggressive. They tend to attack anything they consider edible, such as goats, drakes, and the odd adventurer. They know better than to attack settlements, and are easily scared off with strong lightning or thunder.

Hauntcrow
Ghostly, black birds that take residence in areas that have either seen much death or much magic. They feed off of magical energy, and possess the ability to turn incorporeal, making physical attacks ineffective. Some consider them omens of death, especially when seen outside of their habitats.

Back to top Go down
Rideps1
Turtle Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:04 am

I thought we were only putting generics in the bestiary? Should put the demons somewhere else.

Anyway, addition I've been meaning to make for a few months.

Mould Crows
Generally traveling in flocks, these are corpses of birds (usually crows, hence the name) usually used as scouts by necromancers. They share a link with their masters to report their findings ASAP, and are treated as expendable by most because of this. They are often un-tended to, flying around for their masters until the last feather drops off their bodies, or until they are flung headlong into suicide attacks, where their talons and beaks are as merciless as their dead eyes. Sometimes, however, loose souls will wrest these flocks from their master's control, using them as their own body. Whether this is more or less dangerous to your average passerby is purely on a case by case basis.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:23 am

I thought that with the hive-mind bots and Tod's demon that they'd go in here, but I can put them elsewhere later.

Back to top Go down
Rideps1
Turtle Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:56 pm

I didn't see those, I honestly haven't been watching this topic as well as I should, but I still don't think bosses should go here. I feel like this should kind of be the sort of thing that a character could gain access to somewhere, the bestiary, and bosses are not gunna be in something like that more oft than not
Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Well we could always make a separate 'bestiary' for bosses that's strictly for writer reference and not anything that can be found in-universe :0
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:21 pm

Maybe stuff that's readily available should go here, because while there is information on the Grey Demons, it's hella hard to find.

Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:06 pm

Well, the "demon" I had split into thousands of normal enemies.

And information about it would be readily available.

Libero

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:46 am

Desert enemies!

Serpentant (Sinuous*) - Scorpion-like creatures that seem to be spliced with snakes. This is a sort of curse from a desert snake witch who wanted to expand her empire of horrifying things. They usually have the head of a snake, legs poking through the skin, and at least one stinger. They crawl up from beneath the sand when the sun sets.

Mummy (Demonic) - It's the desert, of course there will be mummies. Really not much more to say. They are like statues in the daytime, but when attacked become almost feral and terrifying. In the blinding sun, they are almost impossible to see. At night, they walk around intelligently, but are easier to see and to fight. They might attack you, though, so watch out.

Dune Leech (Sinuous*) - Enormous toxic worms that cause the sand to sink. They generally don't expose themselves on the surface, but lie below and make traps. They can be heard as a distant rumbling. The sinking sand is easier to see at dawn and dusk; at night it is too dark, and at daytime it is too bright. They aren't just traps, and can be fought by an incredibly skilled and prepared adventurer, but for the average fighter they are best avoided.

Mirage (Spirit) - During the daytime, travelers may see floating creatures that appear to be human, but with very djinn-like features. They are inviting and alluring and treacherous. They are Mirages, spirits of the desert sun. They possess many powers, including disorienting and briefly blinding those who follow them. Their true form is never seen. At night, they look like faintly glowing whirlwinds, and possess no alluring qualities at all. They can be banished with Dark magic, and dissolve when exposed to the element of Water.

*No clue where this goes.

Last edited by Destin von Tod on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Rose (Spirit) - Whenever beautiful gardens are abandoned, monsters take over. Instead of giant spiders, wasps, or rats, roses are spirits of beauty, and their presence causes the flowers to thrive. They hide themselves in hopelessly tangled rosebushes and emit a sweet floral scent to lure enemies near. They control the long, thorned branches of the flowers they inhabit and try to trip and/or poison assailants. Getting them to flee the plant is easy, you just have to damage the plant. Unfortunately, damaging the spirit itself is difficult unless one wields Holy Magic.

Crazee Dayzee (Plant) - At the first sign of a Dayzee in your garden, you should call a professional exterminator immediately. Mischievous flower spirits, Crazee Dayzees will overthrow you and appoint a new ruler of the garden. Your flowers will be turned against you. They are not incredibly dangerous, but they are very difficult to kill, as they sing songs to knock you out, then run away. They can be easily killed with fire, but this will also damage the rest of the garden. Would you sacrifice your tulips for peace of mind?

Amazy Dayzee (Plant) - If Crazee Dayzees are allowed to run loose, they will appoint a new ruler over the garden. This new ruler magically becomes golden, and a lot stronger and difficult to kill. Amazy Dayzees are the reason a Dayzee infestation should be dealt with immediately. Their song deals major damage to anyone who can hear, as well as putting them in a coma-like state. It is said they are made of pure gold, and the experience of defeating one is surely invaluable, but with their power they are very risky. Gardeners who neglect their gardens in the hopes of attracting and catching one quickly learn that Amazy Dayzees cannot be caught. The gardeners also end up dead.

Blood Widow (Insectoid(Arachnid)) - A lethal spider the size of a cat that lives in flower gardens. It is very territorial about its home, which it creates by making a nest out of dead flowers. It seems to be vampiric. If it is attacked, it will flee and burrow underground, likely to get revenge via ambush in the middle of the night. If left without prey, it will starve to death. The corpse possesses a very interesting quality: when buried, the marking on its back acts like a seed to a unique delicate crimson blossom, perhaps as a warning to others of its kind that there is no food here. It can be killed most easily with surprise ranged attacks aimed at the back, where its shell is less developed. If not killed instantly, you will be killed next, so watch out.

Last edited by Destin von Tod on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Poe (Spirit) - Poes live around graveyards where much death and grieving has occurred. They appear only at night, wrapped and concealed in cloth. Their presence prevents the buried from rising again as undead, so their presence is usually allowed by the groundskeepers. Rules warning against entering the graveyard at night are specifically because of Poes. If, for some reason, stealthy entry to a crypt is necessary, the Poes must be defeated and their lanterns extinguished. This will, however, break the curse holding the corpses in place. When someone trespasses in the graveyard at night, a Poe will appear and cast spells that drain lifeforce and use it to power their lantern. They can be defeated easily by shooting the lantern with an arrow or bullet, or defeated somewhat more difficultly by fighting them as they vanish and teleport around.

Corpsewalker (Undead) - When Poes are killed, these foul spirits take over the graveyard. They are ghosts of a sort that can inhabit the recently dead and decaying bodies in a graveyard for a time. Their motives in doing so are not clear, but it may be linked to the reason for their existence: revenge. Their presence in the corpses' minds make it so that physical injury, though it impedes action, does not cause the corpse to relent, nor be killed. If one is determined to scratch you, you may hold out a sword and it will impale itself on the sword and continue moving toward you. If instead you were to cut off all its limbs, the ghost would leave the body and find a different one to use. The ghost can be killed by wielding holy magic. Alternatively, Healing magic will bind the soul to the body, so once you chop up the body, the ghost will be trapped forever, unless it is stitched back together at some point.

Bonewalker (Undead) - Corpsewalkers can float into a whole body, but Bonewalkers possess many more talents. When a Bonewalker inhabits a skull devoid of flesh, the eyes will glow red. The Bonewalker can then psychically control every bone that was once attached to it. This means that the skeleton can fly back and grotesquely rearrange itself as needed. In ancient caves where the skeleton has been completely destroyed, the psychic spirit may be content to hurl broken parts of bones at the victim. Bonewalkers are easier to destroy, as they can only inhabit intact human skulls. Cleave the skull in two, and it will be forced to flee. Alternatively, Healing magic will completely kill the spirit entirely, though another could possibly move into the recently vacated space.

Revenant (Undead) - A human being who signed a contract with a necromancer before death, and thus got to return after exactly 712 days of being dead. They are frail, but possess powerful dark magic skills that are of a comparable level to the necromancer who raised them. As they signed a contract, they aren't puppets to the necromancer, and are instead mentally independent. However, the curse of death has left them in a tortuous situation. They are perpetually in emotional pain, and afflicted with uncontrollable anger. It's no wonder they lash out at anyone who comes against them. Worse still, they reanimate their fallen foes as sort of nonconsenting revenants, though the 712 days must still be fulfilled. Thankfully, these creatures are rare, as the contract is usually quite expensive, not to mention expressly forbidden by law. They can be killed by cutting off the head. They combat magic quite well, and unlike other undead, Healing actually heals them.

Other mentions: Graverobber (Class)

Last edited by Destin von Tod on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Iron Knuckle (Spirit) - In abandoned forts and ruined battlefields, the smell of death is everywhere. Spirits of war are drawn to these battlefields, and they hide themselves in enormous suits of armor they craft from the weapons and armor of the fallen. They move slowly, and wield enormous axes. When the outer armor is destroyed, they collapse to the ground. They cannot counter magic, but they have lots of resistance. They are ferocious tanks. They can inflict their foes with dread, which causes a state like paralysis. The spirits are considered to be immortal, but are no threat when they lack the armor to house them.

Risen (Undead) - Dead warriors who perished on the battlefield may find themselves inexplicably resurrected to continue their path of violence. These undead retain their martial prowess and learned skills, so they act like trained warriors in combat instead of feral creatures improvising with the pointy things they found. However, their intelligence is limited to an almost animal-like level. They act exactly the same as troops do when they're alive. They're just dead. Instead of displaying the marks of their death, they appear to have been healed. They thirst only for violence. Some are magical, some are physical. They follow the rules of the human class system.

Blood Vulture (Avian) - These birds swoop down after a battle to consume the dead. Unlike most vultures, they feast on weapons as well. Their wings are razor sharp, and like iron. If killed, the wings would make a great spoil, and could even be sharpened to use as weapons. Blood Vultures feast on the dead, but have no qualms about being the cause of death, should their meal be interrupted. Flocks at their largest have been known to take on entire armies and win. Being aerial, they are weak to arrows, should any arrows pierce their wings. They are much more vulnerable to magic.

War Fairy (Elemental) - Fairies like Navi are not firmly bound to the side of good. Some join in the battle, usually by hiding themselves in the skull of their first victim, then floating around causing death. They are very proficient in blood magic. They are protected by orbs of deathly energy, which vanish if hit with purification magic, thus making them vulnerable to physical damage. Dark magic and light magic are the best tools for destroying a War Fairy non-physically. Alternatively, once purified, they can be caught and stored in bottles to be used in advanced potion making.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adonian Bestiary   

Back to top Go down

Adonian Bestiary
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Information/Vault :: Races and Creatures-
Jump to: