Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Idea for magic.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yikkin
Mister Doctor Professor Yikkario

PostSubject: Idea for magic.   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:24 pm

Magic could be of two (or more, as we see fit or need) types, with special sorts for characters with unique circumstances.

Like...

Inborn magic, where someone is born with the spark for it. They may pick it up fairly quickly, and perhaps have a larger pool (mana? Or if that's too RPG, just latent magical energy?) of whatever governs magic strength from the get-go.

Learned magic, which is, as the name implies, learned. Characters who have done years of study, or perhaps 'prentice magelings. While their latent energy might not be at the level of an inborn for a time, the two groups would have access to the same sorts of powers (again, special circumstances not taken into account)

And another bit of an idea.

Different groups of people, mostly native Adonians, may have differing views on the art itself.

Like people in (y) town tolerate it, but don't specifically like the guy who can summon a gout of flames, while people in town (z) would run a mage out at sight (or at least give them the cold shoulder for a while). Places that foster many mages of any kind could be accepting of it, and etc.

Please, comment and expand. And correct. Note this is simply a base idea that has bumped around on my brain for a bit, so it's in no way completely formed.

My Bios

"We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville."
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Idea for magic.   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:13 pm

I see magic as a big unknown. People who use magic don't understand how or why it works as a whole. The bit they know and study is a familiar part, and experimenters try different methods of random madness and usually die.

As such, magic types are regional. There may be a country that uses mainly magic based on dreams, because someone in ancient times wielded that magic and survived to train others in the method. That isn't all magic, but just a single form of magic. One nation might use magic through tomes. Another might be like Harry Potter, using wands and spells. Someone could learn them all, because they're all magic. Just different ways of using it.

However, if we do something like this, there needs to be at least some common lore regarding magic and its origins. We don't want something like Cipher, where every character uses a different magic system and pretends it's all fine/the same. Also, lore discussion regarding magic would keep the magics equal in power and ability.

PostSubject: Re: Idea for magic.   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:29 pm

I don't think we really need an overlying thing about... magic itself.

There's magitech and shit, it's going to be widespread, general populace has some magic in them to run them...

Of course there will be opinions on certain schools of magic, and those will probably differ by region as well. For instance, Necromancers are generally untrusted, but are needed to keep the threat of wandering undead in check, so they're put up with.

Basically, I feel that apart from that sort of thing should be left up to the writer of the character. Something like this would probably still happen, but having it set in stone leaves out other, more fantastic situations that people might want to do.
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Idea for magic.   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:31 pm

I wasn't for having it set in stone.

Just maybe a description for each region's regional magical lore/mythos?

PostSubject: Re: Idea for magic.   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:32 pm

That would probably be something best left for much later, then. We don't even have regions, yet.
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Idea for magic.   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:34 pm

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting any priority be given to this subject. Just an overall idea, which will need to be returned to.

Speaking of priority, should we determine which topics are most pressing or just discuss them openly as we are now? I'm fine with the latter, but if someone wants to organize a list...

PostSubject: Re: Idea for magic.   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:44 pm

I'll leave the original post be, but I can see what you guys are saying very clearly. A unified magic system is pretty much a must at this stage of the operation. I suppose we should just leave it fluid on person by person basis, and not have people out for blood if they see a mage. That'd get... Messy to say the least.

My Bios

"We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idea for magic.   

Back to top Go down

Idea for magic.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Pre-Start Discussion Archive-
Jump to: