Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Skills and how they work

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Skills and how they work   Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:27 am

I have an idea I don't have time to propose right now, but I just want to see the current opinion first. So discuss. Next week I will post my idea.

Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:58 am

Since having an 'active' skill limit, regarding things such as specific spells, would be a bit arbitrary considering the fact that most melee classes wouldn't even use it, and mages tend to have a lot of spells, I feel that skills should be kept to 'passive' as much as possible, with a few 'de-limiter' skills or whatevername that grant access to new abilities here and again.
I don't think 'magic missle' or 'fireball' or 'focused strike' or whatever should take up whatevernumber of skillslots.

Of course, IIRC, skillslot number was proposed to just depend on the writer, and the character.
Though a 'soft limit' applied to the number would almost certainly be of benefit. We don't need X to have 3 skills and Y to have 30.

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:17 pm

The way I see it skills would be broad, like 'Sword Expertise' or 'Fire Magic' or whatever, with whatever that means for each character defined in their bios. So one character who is good at fiyaa majikku might know how to enchant weapons with fire while another can create walls of fire. Both skills and abilities would be leveled. Maybe. If it doesn't make it too complex.

Example:

Strength - Good <- stat
Lance Expertise lvl 2 <- skill governed by said stat (if we go with the dual-stat skill thing I suggested in the other topic this would only need to be listed under one stat, but also needs to mention what other stat affects it)
-Power Thrust lvl 1 [A hard poke.] <-explanation of skill
        ^ability that is "powered", so to speak, by the skill

Maybe this is too micromanagy, I believe Aeo said she didn't want numbers to be used and they don't have to be, this was just an example. However, I do think numbers would make it simpler to compare characters. That's not to say someone with a higher skill level would always win, since the "weaker" character could make use of other skills to compensate.

/hopes this made sense psyduck

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:21 pm

Maybe non-trait skills could have 'levels', yeah. It could help show improvement.

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
The Riderps Phone
Turtle Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Sounds good to me. Gives room for growth and such. At least for the combat categories. Pure passives might benefit from that setup too but it'll take some tweaks I'd think..
Back to top Go down
Rockman47
Typhoon Commander of the 17th Battalion

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:31 pm

Another suggestion to add on is somewhat of a stretch but should be considered. Having a template of generic skills everyone can and may use in its own page. I feel it would help out everyone, for instance, "X used Genocide Slash and Y used Ultra Slice." and then it turns out both skills are basically the same thing but under different names. Now, if we made a list and place generic skills under one name, each doing a certain thing, it is more accessible for everyone as navigating to one page (Skills) is quicker than navigating at least two pages (Bios of characters who have the skills) now those skills are actually named Power Cut. As for exclusive skills, I say they can be mentioned and described in the bio of that character but should be posted on the Skill page I am suggesting under the category of "Unique Skills"

Zydogecopter:

ヤドン:

Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:59 pm

Hold on.

So special moves would count as skills? I thought skills would be passive things or overall abilities.

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:05 pm

No. It's just a wording thing.
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:06 pm

Oh.

Okay.

Libero

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:31 pm

Types of things that could be considered skills:

Category 1: Unique abilities:

Category 2: Distinct techniques:

Category 3: Passive techniques:

Now, we have a few things to discuss here.

1. Are the categories I have made good enough? Are there more you feel I should add to the list?

2. After deciding as a group on question 1, we need to decide how limited or powerful each type of ability needs to be.

Libero

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Noncombat skills of each type---

Category 1: Newton primarily makes potions that have nothing to do with combat. Arcane texts studied by Tod are used firstly for research, and combat is only a secondary concern.

Category 2: Glade's portals are not primarily a combat thing. The halving of magic power affects more than her ability to fight, as magic is everywhere in Adonia.

Category 3: Many noncombat skills will go in this category. Tod can learn foreign/dead languages quickly, which only affects combat indirectly through acquisition of more powerful arcane tomes. Not to mention the fact that many texts will not have any arcane power whatsoever.

Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:27 pm

Since stats are being dropped (for the time being, anyway), there's no real point in categorizing skills and abilities. If I understood it correctly you can basically have any skill so long as you can justify it and it's not OP.

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skills and how they work   

Back to top Go down

Skills and how they work
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum