Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Technology/culture/society discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Uh

Not really sure what to write here :0

Discuss any ideas or thoughts you have concerning the technology level of Adonia, things to be done for entertainment, any cultural stuff, etc.

Just for some worldbuilding, mostly. :0
Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Um... it exists? *shot*

But for reals, I would like an explanation on how magitek stuff will work. The word gets thrown around a lot but nobody's actually said anything about it other than IT'S MAGIC.

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Delicious_Fsteak wrote:
I would like an explanation on how magitek stuff will work. The word gets thrown around a lot but nobody's actually said anything about it other than IT'S MAGIC.

IT'S MAGIC YOU DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT *hit*

but yah dat

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Well, the definition of technomagic in Brick City lore was mechanical devices with a magical fuel source, so basically magic as a battery, which might relate to this magitek here.

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Lao-ShanTux wrote:
Well, the definition of technomagic in Brick City lore was mechanical devices with a magical fuel source, so basically magic as a battery, which might relate to this magitek here.

That was what I was thinking would be the case for the most part, yeah. :0
Back to top Go down
Zerdark
Emperor of the Multiverse

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:31 pm

So what actually acts as the battery?

Mages pour their magic energy into devices and they require the occasional recharge?

Magic energy is stored in a stone or something else small and that acts as a battery to the device as a whole? Batteries may require replacing.

Large masses of magic energy are placed in large areas and act similar to power plants? Might not need power lines depending.

Everything is powered by THE SOULS OF THE DAMNED! *shot*

http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:38 pm

Zerdark wrote:

OBVSLY /plzno

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:40 pm

Brick City managed to make small 'perpetual' magical generators for devices so everything could be off a grid, but I dunno about here, since Brick City dumped tons of research into it.

Back to top Go down
The Riderps Phone
Turtle Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:10 pm

Perhaps ambient magical energy is used. Gives the option of interference as well. Always nice for plots.
Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:55 pm

So

While things such as TV and video games might not exist here, I figure there's gotta be SOME form of entertainment that isn't comparatively primitive.

Would anyone be strictly opposed to movie theaters? I'd find it a little hard to believe in-universe that they wouldn't have developed some alternate form of film reels and projectors. :v

It's not really anything major, but I figured I'd ask to add it some places into locations and such. :v
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:57 pm

Movie theaters sound good. What time period, though? Vaudeville? 1970-1990? Now?

Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:01 pm

sounds good to me :v

Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:02 pm

Spikaya Silver wrote:
Zerdark wrote:

OBVSLY /plzno

There could be a grimleal-esque cult that does this somewhere in the world.

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:15 pm

Lao-ShanTux wrote:
Movie theaters sound good. What time period, though? Vaudeville? 1970-1990? Now?

I was thinking a little of each :v

Like, say, Three-Stooges style short films (to name one example), animated stuff, superhero films, etc. could all potentially exist.

Dunno what anyone else thinks though.
Back to top Go down
Rockman47
Typhoon Commander of the 17th Battalion

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:44 pm

What about education? How does it work in Adonia? Do people have to pay for it? Is it only a thing for the higher class? That sort of questions.

Zydogecopter:

ヤドン:

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:46 pm

I figure schools could be a thing, but no one wants to RP their characters taking classes (or at least I think not), hence the lack of mention :v
Back to top Go down
Rockman47
Typhoon Commander of the 17th Battalion

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:47 pm

SmashBasher123 wrote:
I figure schools could be a thing, but no one wants to RP their characters taking classes (or at least I think not), hence the lack of mention :v
But what is the school system gonna work in here is the primary answer I am seeking.

Zydogecopter:

ヤドン:

Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:51 pm

Schools would be primarily like boarding school, with the free ones being lower quality and the more expensive ones being like university. Apprenticeships would be one of the main forms of education.

Aside from schools, villages and towns would have things similar to public schools except generally poorer, with teachers receiving no funding and being volunteer/donation based. Richer people would hire tutors instead of sending their children off to university.

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:52 pm

Destin von Tod wrote:
Schools would be primarily like boarding school, with the free ones being lower quality and the more expensive ones being like university. Apprenticeships would be one of the main forms of education.

Aside from schools, villages and towns would have things similar to public schools except generally poorer, with teachers receiving no funding and being volunteer/donation based. Richer people would hire tutors instead of sending their children off to university.
This sounds solid. Any other suggestions?

Zydogecopter:

ヤドン:

Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Oh, and of course the larger cities would have richer schools, as a higher working/business class (as far as one would exist in Adonia) in that location would want better education, so while taxes supporting schools wouldn't exist by law, companies would provide money to schools in exchange for the city's schools helping train people for such work in addition to basic competence.

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:59 pm

I think it would largely depend on what one wishes to learn.

Basic things like reading and writing might primarily be taught by the parents. Those wishing for a higher education might seek out universities, guilds, or masters in the respective fields people wish to learn. Aspiring mages might seek out some arcane university in the capital or something. Those looking to be a knight would probably seek out the knight academy. Aspiring alchemists may seek out the reclusive masters of their fields. Businessmen might seek out a Merchant's Guild. Etc.

A formal education like in our modern world however with Elementary schools or High schools, I seriously doubt they would exist. But they could if everyone else wants em I guess.

http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:04 pm

I was just thinking of books I've read where poor villages have education taught by a local old woman who receives no money for it and stuff. Then there were schools run by monks and such, where the students lived in the school and spent as much time learning things as helping out with the work.

Also, I've read a lot of stories in which the rich and the nobles hire tutors so they don't have to send young children away to learn. When the children are old enough, they go to universities which are prestigious, expensive, and generally teach philosophy, law, sciences, and fine arts.

I imagine for poorer people, higher education would involve less philosophy and fine arts.

Magic universities/apprenticeships to sages and a guild system for specific types of careers would also be a good idea.

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:54 pm

Homeschooling can of course also be a thing, perhaps wandering tutors. Sorry if someone already said that, my neck's a bit stiff and making reading hard >.>
Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:57 pm

Like I said before, I doubt many people would want to RP their characters being educated, so it probably shouldn't be anything TOO elaborate. I can see homeschooling and such working though.
Back to top Go down
Yikkin
Mister Doctor Professor Yikkario
Mister Doctor Professor Yikkario

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:01 pm

SmashBasher123 wrote:
Like I said before, I doubt many people would want to RP their characters being educated, so it probably shouldn't be anything TOO elaborate. I can see homeschooling and such working though.

Why not to the italicized part tho

My Bios

"We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   

Back to top Go down

Technology/culture/society discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Pre-Start Discussion Archive-