Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Technology/culture/society discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Uh

Not really sure what to write here :0

Discuss any ideas or thoughts you have concerning the technology level of Adonia, things to be done for entertainment, any cultural stuff, etc.

Just for some worldbuilding, mostly. :0
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Zerdark
Emperor of the Multiverse

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Your innate energy can perhaps be what connects you to the ambient energy. If your personal magical reserves are completley depleted, then you lose your connection to the ambient energy. At that point you might have to consult a healer.

http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Rideps1
Turtle Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:41 pm

But also with this whole innate-ambient thing.... Different schools of magic might use one or the other more.

I think we should save THAT part for another topic, and keep this one just to how magic works, rather than how it is used. But since we can't decide the latter without the former... We've gotta do this one first.
Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:17 pm

Okay, I'm confused now. So is this conversation on hold now, or...what?

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:47 pm

As of right now we're going to focus on confirming how magic exists in the world, and then move onto the Magic/Magitek relationship discussion and related.

To start, can we all agree on magic being an ambient energy, and that the ambient energy is the 'primary' source of magic?

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:47 pm

I can agree to that.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Yes.

Mister Doctor Professor Yikkario

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:49 pm

Amount of energy used for mages could be based upon the magnitude of the task. Like... Making a pillar of fire would take more concentration on the part of the mage. As opposed to using smaller amounts of power for smaller effects.

Bloody hell, this will require complexities.

Edit: as to what Lao said a few posts above, I see no reason why that wouldn't work.

My Bios

"We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville."
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:59 pm

Sí.

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:05 am

Yesaroonee
Back to top Go down
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:50 am

Nothing about my idea involved squeezing magic out of things. People are saying my idea is over complicated but it is more simple than all of these. The entire point of what I said is there doesn't need to be a single source for magic. If we need a kind of magic, we have a kind of magic. What is the point in setting rules for magic, when the idea behind magic is to break the natural rules? I proposed magical catalysts simply for people people, who don't have their own magic for powering the machines as a simple explanation why every house hold would have magitek appliances. My entire idea is "Stop over complicating it." The magitek runs on magic. If you aren't proficient in magic, or even the right kind of magic, maybe you can't fix something that is obviously magic. If your race has a naturally bad reaction with magic, maybe some appliances would not work for you. As it stands, every person has the potential to learn magic, which is why such devices would work for the general public, with the exception of those with a highly poor reaction, or very high resistance to magic. It doesn't matter how it works, trying to explain it like a science is useless because it is all RP, we are literally making it up lol. As for my example of Alchemy...it was just that, an example. Simulating magical effects can be considered it's own type of magic. I wasn't saying the Alchemist in question would need to know magic, or about magic to do alchemy, simply that it is an example of how magic would work. If you need magic, it is there, the source doesn't matter, and can be made up on a case to case basis. Whether that be, drawing from the earth, your blood, the spirits, magic rocks, the Unicorn God, or some other unexplained reason. Literally just do like we do with everything else. If you feel it is in question, just ask? Talk to everyone and explain, "Hey this is what I am wanting to do, this is why." I understand getting an idea of magitek, but most people won't have a knowledge of how it works anyway, aside from likely the people who engineer it, just like the appliances of today. I mean how many of you know how to make tv's...or microwaves? Refrigerator? When I picture magitek in my head, or when I have seen it, there are always runes or lines or signs, (now in glowy or non glowy!). Pretty safe to infer it is magic. "This is magitek, it is powered by magic." Obviously holding incantations and things of the like, put a wear on the user, so said incantation would have to be written or transcribed, and fed the magic it needs to continue working.

TL;DR : There is no need to describe how every toaster works. "This is an appliance, it runs on magic, that makes it magitek." Simple. ^.^

P.S I can understand if people had trouble understanding I was joking, I have been having trouble for the last week with miss-communication on a lot of things, and I guess it has just been difficult to take my meaning on things. Chris, I apologize if you thought I was making fun of you for agreeing.

P.P.S Once again I just don't see any reason to over complicate, we have magitek, we can do magic. The bigger the spell, the harder it is to do. The bigger the appliance the more magic it would take. Just remember there are a lot of full fledged games, and stories...that have 0 explanation for why or how magic exists, and where it comes from. In the words of Joe Dirts crappy parents "How is a rainbow made? It just does, a hyuck."

Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:36 pm

I could believe there being some people that just aren't proficient with magitek. Hell, in the real world, there are people that are terrible with modern technology. As long as the general public can use it for the most part, I think it's fine.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:50 pm

Helios is an example of being bad with magitek, but he's also from a tribe from an island or some shit that didn't have technology at all, so there's that. His case is mostly just not understanding it very well, like a baby boomer and computers. Or whatever the analogy was.

Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Well that's understandable. Plop someone who's never seen a computer in front of one, and you'll be impressed if they can figure out where the start button is.

Now one other thought that should be made clear. Same with the real world, not everyone can handle everything. For example, someone who can operate a magitek toaster in this world wouldn't necessarily be able to operate a fucking train. Similar to our own world really. Plop me in front of a train's controls, and pray I don't cause it to explode within the first 30 seconds. Some things in this world should require the necessary training to operate. Mostly everyone should be able to operate a toaster, but not everyone is an engineer. Actually, I'd imagine engineering is probably one of the few things in this world that would require a formal education.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:25 pm

I agree with that

Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:37 pm

This is gonna be dumb being said so long after it's been decided but I'll say it anyway: I kinda have an issue with all technology being magitek. It just seems extremely implausible.

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:39 pm

I wasn't aware we had decided on all technology being magitek. I agree with Steak.

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:02 pm

I don't think it's really ALL technology in the whole world. I believe steam powered stuff was mentioned before at least. It's just likely the most common type of tech in Drachurst at least :0
Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:25 pm

Oh. Then I guess I misunderstood. DON'T MIND ME, I'M BEING DUMB AGAIN

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:32 pm

Drachurst prolly has it due to its relative advancements

Other lesser developed countries could have other stuff to make due :0
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:50 pm

Zima's got a healthy mix depending on the nation you go to

Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:51 pm

I can imagine there being some steam powered things.

Actually wondering if Linebeck can purchase a small steamboat Razz

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Yikkin

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:17 pm

-faesdesk-

I feel like a bloody moron, now.

Eh... Sorry for any offense that bloomed from the seeds of not understanding what anyone was saying with their words.

Also, tech specialization is a good idea, IMO. 'S like in the modern days of now, hardly anyone knows how to fix some computer issues or appliances (case in point, my house was one spark away from boom yesterday morn. Yay for broken gas oven pouring out gas into house!)

My Bios

"We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville."
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Can I get a consensus on gold being desirable not only as a symbol of wealth but as a magical conductor? Not the only one, obviously, but one of the highest quality magical conductor?

Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Sure I spose

Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:30 pm

I can live with that. Just keep golden enemy hunting to a minimum. They're endangered.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   

Back to top Go down

Technology/culture/society discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Pre-Start Discussion Archive-
Jump to: