Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Technology/culture/society discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SmashBasher123
Storyteller
avatar

Posts : 28272
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 20
Location : Anywhere I need to be

PostSubject: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Uh

Not really sure what to write here :0

Discuss any ideas or thoughts you have concerning the technology level of Adonia, things to be done for entertainment, any cultural stuff, etc.

Just for some worldbuilding, mostly. :0
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
SmashBasher123
Storyteller
avatar

Posts : 28272
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 20
Location : Anywhere I need to be

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:38 pm

I'm alright with it.
Back to top Go down
Rockman47
Typhoon Commander of the 17th Battalion
avatar

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:54 pm

I am not too keen on the idea. It puts too much value on a already rare material.

_________________
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime
"A WHOLE NEW WORLD!~ DIFFERENT TYPES OF R TO P WITH YOU!~" -Vinny Pizzapasta, 2015
Where my bios are at
Zydogecopter:
 

ヤドン:
 
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum
avatar

Posts : 21288
Join date : 2013-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:41 pm

>rare
Well, with magic, it's likely that it could be extracted even from the most minute concentrations. I mean, of course goldmines would be sought after but y'know.

'Sides, gold's pretty freakin' common.

_________________


What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
Rockman47
Typhoon Commander of the 17th Battalion
avatar

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:03 am

Well, if gold is common, then it loses economic value.

_________________
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime
"A WHOLE NEW WORLD!~ DIFFERENT TYPES OF R TO P WITH YOU!~" -Vinny Pizzapasta, 2015
Where my bios are at
Zydogecopter:
 

ヤドン:
 
Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller
avatar

Posts : 28272
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 20
Location : Anywhere I need to be

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:44 am

Hence why it being a top notch magical conductors would make it more sought after rather than just because it's gold :0
Back to top Go down
Rockman47
Typhoon Commander of the 17th Battalion
avatar

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:38 pm

But it's the money of world. That alone makes gold valuable. Add in the conductor property and now every researcher is a rich ass mofo who will probably be forced to work alone or with a small group of people they trust because they are messing with gold AKA money, every piece of magitech will be pretty expensive because it has gold inside, crime rate will be high since every piece of technology has some gold inside which in turn prompt the thief to pluck the thing apart for what is a few strands of gold, and every rich person is basically on top of a pile of potential death and will look like they don't want the world to advance thanks to all the magic that is involved in this world and is not sharing something that can help in the advancement of the world. I simply can't see gold's dual property feasible

_________________
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime
"A WHOLE NEW WORLD!~ DIFFERENT TYPES OF R TO P WITH YOU!~" -Vinny Pizzapasta, 2015
Where my bios are at
Zydogecopter:
 

ヤドン:
 
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero


Posts : 10640
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 18
Location : The moon.

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:58 pm

I have an idea.

Gold itself, in its pure form, is not currency. It can be used for trades, because it has some value, but the places that mint the currency do it through a more complicated process which is not necessary to describe here. The process would involve blending it with other metals, compressing it, molding it into round coins, and then enchanting them in a way that cannot be counterfeited. The enchantment is a way to certify the coins are real if shops have a magitek scanner or register of a sort, and it also prevents the coin from being destroyed.

Due to this, the presence of the material of gold in these coins is mainly because, being a conductor, the gold perpetuates the enchantments placed on the coins. There would not need to be much gold in them, so the value of gold and the value of the currency are not immediately linked.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero


Posts : 10640
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 18
Location : The moon.

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:59 pm

Before anyone says that's too complicated, I have to say: that explanation I made is basically the backstory or in-universe justification.

In effect, all that means is gold (the coin) is not gold (the metal) in terms of worth or utility.

_________________
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu
avatar

Posts : 8789
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 23
Location : Somewhere...OVER THE RAI-*shot*

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:01 pm

*the process is not necessary to describe*

*describes it*

But seriously though, I do like that idea. :v

_________________
Adults in age, maybe not in mentality, because God knows I don't qualify for that.

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Rockman47
Typhoon Commander of the 17th Battalion
avatar

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:14 pm

I like this idea. It would be similar to modern United States pennies which are basically copper coated coins with a nickel interior.

_________________
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime
"A WHOLE NEW WORLD!~ DIFFERENT TYPES OF R TO P WITH YOU!~" -Vinny Pizzapasta, 2015
Where my bios are at
Zydogecopter:
 

ヤドン:
 
Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat
avatar

Posts : 5723
Join date : 2013-07-16
Age : 24
Location : In your mind~ yeah, not really

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:27 pm

Or we can simplify it by pulling a Jade Empire and use silver coins as the currency because gold is too valuable to trade around so freely. Or something, I don't remember the reasoning in the game but it could work here.

_________________
LISTEN!! Watashi no MUSIC♪

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:
 

ARE YOU READY?:
 

QFT:
 
Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller
avatar

Posts : 28272
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 20
Location : Anywhere I need to be

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Technically speaking, in real life some dude suddenly cashing in a fuckton of gold (or, for example, a town suddenly acquiring lots of gold) would basically throw the whole economy of the area for a loop. Since gold in this setting would hypothetically have a use beyond monetary value AND is relatively commonplace, then there's no real reason it'd be used as currency /random rambles

... I'm not sure we even established that the Drachurst currency is gold, actually :v

That said, Tod's idea seems ok if that's what we're going with :0
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu
avatar

Posts : 8789
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 23
Location : Somewhere...OVER THE RAI-*shot*

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Delicious_Fsteak wrote:
Or we can simplify it by pulling a Jade Empire and use silver coins as the currency because gold is too valuable to trade around so freely. Or something, I don't remember the reasoning in the game but it could work here.

But under Tod's idea gold would see a common use in magitek devices sooo

_________________
Adults in age, maybe not in mentality, because God knows I don't qualify for that.

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Zerdark
Emperor of the Multiverse
Emperor of the Multiverse
avatar

Posts : 19362
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 21
Location : Cipher HQ

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:48 pm

I like the new gold idea. Prevents counterfeiting and makes it so you can't just walk into a shop and pay with gold you just found lying in a dungeon somewhere.

Also makes Linebeck more useful so you can get rid of the gold treasure you found, he'll buy it off ya *shot*

_________________
Here's a link to my bios.
http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/f78-chris-s-bios
...I finally updated my signature. Welp. That's it. I don't have a joke or anything. You can go home now. Why are you still reading this? You're not getting anything else. Oh okay, fine. Here.
http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu
avatar

Posts : 8789
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 23
Location : Somewhere...OVER THE RAI-*shot*

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:48 pm

I mean I like the idea that gold doesn't have much value outside of magitek so either coins would look like gold and be called gold but not really be used AS gold or just be silver or some other metal but we can't really use the GOLD'S TOO VALUABLE TO BE USED AS COINS excuse if we're going with this, it'd actually kinda be the other way around run-ons are fun I'm a potato :v

_________________
Adults in age, maybe not in mentality, because God knows I don't qualify for that.

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Rockman47
Typhoon Commander of the 17th Battalion
avatar

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:49 pm

SmashBasher123 wrote:
Technically speaking, in real life some dude suddenly cashing in a fuckton of gold (or, for example, a town suddenly acquiring lots of gold) would basically throw the whole economy of the area for a loop. Since gold in this setting would hypothetically have a use beyond monetary value AND is relatively commonplace, then there's no real reason it'd be used as currency /random rambles

... I'm not sure we even established that the Drachurst currency is gold, actually :v

That said, Tod's idea seems ok if that's what we're going with :0

Well, it was sort of established, by that I mean that one day I asked about the currency, Chris said keeping it as gold for simplicity's sake and everyone agreed to that. Though, changing the currency to something else is also a good idea

_________________
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime
"A WHOLE NEW WORLD!~ DIFFERENT TYPES OF R TO P WITH YOU!~" -Vinny Pizzapasta, 2015
Where my bios are at
Zydogecopter:
 

ヤドン:
 
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu
avatar

Posts : 8789
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 23
Location : Somewhere...OVER THE RAI-*shot*

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Rockman47 wrote:
SmashBasher123 wrote:
Technically speaking, in real life some dude suddenly cashing in a fuckton of gold (or, for example, a town suddenly acquiring lots of gold) would basically throw the whole economy of the area for a loop. Since gold in this setting would hypothetically have a use beyond monetary value AND is relatively commonplace, then there's no real reason it'd be used as currency /random rambles

... I'm not sure we even established that the Drachurst currency is gold, actually :v

That said, Tod's idea seems ok if that's what we're going with :0

Well, it was sort of established, by that I mean that one day I asked about the currency, Chris said keeping it as gold for simplicity's sake and everyone agreed to that. Though, changing the currency to something else is also a good idea

Yeah, that was waaay before Tod came up with the magic conductor idea thing iirc.

_________________
Adults in age, maybe not in mentality, because God knows I don't qualify for that.

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Zerdark
Emperor of the Multiverse
Emperor of the Multiverse
avatar

Posts : 19362
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 21
Location : Cipher HQ

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Even if it's technically mostly silver and other metals with gold plating and enchantments, would like to still call it gold. Just my opinion.

_________________
Here's a link to my bios.
http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/f78-chris-s-bios
...I finally updated my signature. Welp. That's it. I don't have a joke or anything. You can go home now. Why are you still reading this? You're not getting anything else. Oh okay, fine. Here.
http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu
avatar

Posts : 8789
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 23
Location : Somewhere...OVER THE RAI-*shot*

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:51 pm

I do like the idea of having gold coins be like pennies in terms of how they're made, yeah.

_________________
Adults in age, maybe not in mentality, because God knows I don't qualify for that.

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Death-chan
Libero
Libero


Posts : 10640
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 18
Location : The moon.

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Black White Oyu wrote:
*the process is not necessary to describe*

*describes it*

But seriously though, I do like that idea. :v
I didn't say is was unnecessary.

*rereads*

Oh wait, I did. Well. Ignore that.

Rockman47 wrote:
I like this idea. It would be similar to modern United States pennies which are basically copper coated coins with a nickel interior.
That was my inspiration, actually.

SmashBasher123 wrote:
Technically speaking, in real life some dude suddenly cashing in a fuckton of gold (or, for example, a town suddenly acquiring lots of gold) would basically throw the whole economy of the area for a loop. Since gold in this setting would hypothetically have a use beyond monetary value AND is relatively commonplace, then there's no real reason it'd be used as currency /random rambles

... I'm not sure we even established that the Drachurst currency is gold, actually :v

That said, Tod's idea seems ok if that's what we're going with :0
Well, I don't mean for it (in metal form) to be so commonplace that acquiring a ton of it somewhere won't change the area's local economy. Except for if we don't want to RP it because this doesn't have to be a realistic world at all.

Zerdark wrote:
I like the new gold idea. Prevents counterfeiting and makes it so you can't just walk into a shop and pay with gold you just found lying in a dungeon somewhere.

Also makes Linebeck more useful so you can get rid of the gold treasure you found, he'll buy it off ya *shot*
If you intend coins to be found in a dungeon, I would assume the coins have been in use for long enough that a chest full of the coins would probably be found.

Black White Oyu wrote:
I mean I like the idea that gold doesn't have much value outside of magitek so either coins would look like gold and be called gold but not really be used AS gold or just be silver or some other metal but we can't really use the GOLD'S TOO VALUABLE TO BE USED AS COINS excuse if we're going with this, it'd actually kinda be the other way around run-ons are fun I'm a potato :v
I don't quite see your point here.

Rockman47 wrote:
SmashBasher123 wrote:
Technically speaking, in real life some dude suddenly cashing in a fuckton of gold (or, for example, a town suddenly acquiring lots of gold) would basically throw the whole economy of the area for a loop. Since gold in this setting would hypothetically have a use beyond monetary value AND is relatively commonplace, then there's no real reason it'd be used as currency /random rambles

... I'm not sure we even established that the Drachurst currency is gold, actually :v

That said, Tod's idea seems ok if that's what we're going with :0

Well, it was sort of established, by that I mean that one day I asked about the currency, Chris said keeping it as gold for simplicity's sake and everyone agreed to that. Though, changing the currency to something else is also a good idea
I just remembered people agreeing to keep it as Gold like in Fire Emblem for simplicity's sake. If that hadn't been determined in any topic, sorry for not being aware of that.

Zerdark wrote:
Even if it's technically mostly silver and other metals with gold plating and enchantments, would like to still call it gold. Just my opinion.
This is basically it.

_________________
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu
avatar

Posts : 8789
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 23
Location : Somewhere...OVER THE RAI-*shot*

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:07 pm

Destin von Tod wrote:
Black White Oyu wrote:
I mean I like the idea that gold doesn't have much value outside of magitek so either coins would look like gold and be called gold but not really be used AS gold or just be silver or some other metal but we can't really use the GOLD'S TOO VALUABLE TO BE USED AS COINS excuse if we're going with this, it'd actually kinda be the other way around run-ons are fun I'm a potato :v
I don't quite see your point here.

That was just me rambling because of something Phaven said, you can prolly ignore that.

_________________
Adults in age, maybe not in mentality, because God knows I don't qualify for that.

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Zerdark
Emperor of the Multiverse
Emperor of the Multiverse
avatar

Posts : 19362
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 21
Location : Cipher HQ

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:11 pm

Destin von Tod wrote:
Zerdark wrote:
I like the new gold idea. Prevents counterfeiting and makes it so you can't just walk into a shop and pay with gold you just found lying in a dungeon somewhere.

Also makes Linebeck more useful so you can get rid of the gold treasure you found, he'll buy it off ya *shot*
If you intend coins to be found in a dungeon, I would assume the coins have been in use for long enough that a chest full of the coins would probably be found.

I more meant gold anything, but there could have also been ancient coins used before the modern system. These coins would probably be antiques, just the thing snooty rich people would buy at auctions run by Linebeck.

_________________
Here's a link to my bios.
http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/f78-chris-s-bios
...I finally updated my signature. Welp. That's it. I don't have a joke or anything. You can go home now. Why are you still reading this? You're not getting anything else. Oh okay, fine. Here.
http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat
avatar

Posts : 5723
Join date : 2013-07-16
Age : 24
Location : In your mind~ yeah, not really

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Black White Oyu wrote:
Delicious_Fsteak wrote:
Or we can simplify it by pulling a Jade Empire and use silver coins as the currency because gold is too valuable to trade around so freely. Or something, I don't remember the reasoning in the game but it could work here.

But under Tod's idea gold would see a common use in magitek devices sooo

I know, I can read. I just thought it seemed like it would overcomplicate something nobody's going to end up thinking twice about when we're actually RPing. Money will just be money and that's that.

_________________
LISTEN!! Watashi no MUSIC♪

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:
 

ARE YOU READY?:
 

QFT:
 
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum
avatar

Posts : 21288
Join date : 2013-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:18 pm

Probably too late to say anything about it but I was up there somewhere and thought "Bimetallism".

But I guess we're doing nickels?

Also honestly what Steak said. I doubt we're gonna go into too much 'random guy gets mugged for traces of gold' and shit unless they were REALLY loaded for some plot reason and blah blah blah it's probably actually not that important and probably very unlikely that money will crop up in non-domestic/financial-hooha talk.

_________________


What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero


Posts : 10640
Join date : 2013-07-15
Age : 18
Location : The moon.

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:23 pm

Delicious_Fsteak wrote:
Black White Oyu wrote:
Delicious_Fsteak wrote:
Or we can simplify it by pulling a Jade Empire and use silver coins as the currency because gold is too valuable to trade around so freely. Or something, I don't remember the reasoning in the game but it could work here.

But under Tod's idea gold would see a common use in magitek devices sooo

I know, I can read. I just thought it seemed like it would overcomplicate something nobody's going to end up thinking twice about when we're actually RPing. Money will just be money and that's that.
Lao-ShanTux wrote:
Probably too late to say anything about it but I was up there somewhere and thought "Bimetallism".

But I guess we're doing nickels?

Also honestly what Steak said. I doubt we're gonna go into too much 'random guy gets mugged for traces of gold' and shit unless they were REALLY loaded for some plot reason and blah blah blah it's probably actually not that important and probably very unlikely that money will crop up in non-domestic/financial-hooha talk.

I apologize for complicating the discussion. All the technical stuff and the backstory and the details really aren't that important, but some people might have been interested in it.

Really, though, my second post was the core thing:
Destin von Tod wrote:
Before anyone says that's too complicated, I have to say: that explanation I made is basically the backstory or in-universe justification.

In effect, all that means is gold (the coin) is not gold (the metal) in terms of worth or utility.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   

Back to top Go down
 
Technology/culture/society discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Pre-Start Discussion Archive-
Jump to: