Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Technology/culture/society discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Technology/culture/society discussion   Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Uh

Not really sure what to write here :0

Discuss any ideas or thoughts you have concerning the technology level of Adonia, things to be done for entertainment, any cultural stuff, etc.

Just for some worldbuilding, mostly. :0
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:02 pm

However, people would possibly want their characters to have some past education in a backstory, and minor references to schooling (especially with apprenticehips) could be used in multiple cases. Also, if schools and universities are used, they could be locations for plot things that don't involve active education of the characters. For instance, I could have Tod eventually become a teacher of philosophy without RPing every class he teaches.

@Rand: He doesn't mean few people want educated characters. He means few people would want a school setting RP where classes are onscreened and such.

Mister Doctor Professor Yikkario

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Oh, yeah. That makes sense.

But imagine a world where everyone is equally brick dumb unless they're rich.

Twould be horrible. And funny.

My Bios

"We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville."
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Sounds like perfect material for a satire novel.

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:08 pm

I can understand that, hence why I'm not just going "Ah, who needs schools?" Razz
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Destin von Tod wrote:
Sounds like perfect material for a satire novel.

obvsly one must be written of the new rp after a while /no

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Spitz
Conqueror
Conqueror

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:05 pm

To the magitek issue, I personally am fond of strong sources of magic in the planet being the place where magitek is centered. The magic coming from the planet powering the town. The magical batteries idea could work for portable things.

As to schooling, I'm with Tod on this one, and hell no I'm not eager to RP school settings. It is important though.

/giving my opinion.

Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Spitz wrote:
To the magitek issue, I personally am fond of strong sources of magic in the planet being the place where magitek is centered. The magic coming from the planet powering the town. The magical batteries idea could work for portable things.

What would this "natural magic" be, exactly? Is it just pretty vapor trails? Can it be mined? I DEMAND ELABORATION.

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Spitz
Conqueror
Conqueror

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:53 pm

Well, it would technically be both. Like, it's in the earth, and therefor can be mined, but in areas with strong concentration of magic it materializes as wisps of smoke.

Of course, if it were to be mined it would prolly have a time limit before the magic in the mined chunk would return to the earth. This would likely depend on the size of the chunk; huge slabs go in about a day, while rock sized chunks could last for years. Pebbles for decades, maybe to power watches?

One region of the world would have the wisps, whereas perhaps another would be forced to scavage what little magic they could just to survive.

*shrug* Something along the lines is how I'd have it.

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:56 pm

In Scerect, magic was basically the entropy of the universe; the 'unusable energy' created from basically everything. With magic, it would be pulled back into a usable state and converted to a usable form.

Of course, it took more energy with it when it went back.

If I remember right, this is how I explained it. Maybe? :S

It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, looking at it.

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Lao-ShanTux wrote:
It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, looking at it.

That's magic in general, mango.

*shot*

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:12 pm

While I honestly don't like the idea of magic coal that has an inverse replenish rate, it seems more 'natural' than literally reaching into an unusable energy source that comprises the heat death of the universe and using, I guess.

Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:38 pm

I was thinking magic could be an ambient or atmospheric thing in some cases.

Also, the particulars of magic should go in the magic discussion topic. This is more for how technologically advanced the world would be.

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:19 pm

Well the ambient magic thing might help explain the whole longer lifespan thing... :0
Back to top Go down
Rideps1
Turtle Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:22 pm

Ambient magic is my vote as well. Mining magic is just... Strange
Back to top Go down
Zerdark
Emperor of the Multiverse

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:36 pm

My vote goes to ambient magic.

http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:42 pm

WHAT'S THIS? WHAT'S THIS? THERE'S COLOR IN THE AAAAIR~ *shot*
Back to top Go down
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:19 am

I imagine that it would work a lot like learning trades. Most would focus on the things they need to live their lives, not pointless things like algebra they will never use. However, in settings like this of course you have scholars and seekers of knowledge who learn just to learn (has a character like that) and of course I imagine large cities may have libraries, or even academies. That is all up to us, and I imagine we can discuss as needed.

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Like I said before, a standard would probably be at least basic reading and writing (since they're pretty valuable life skills). Of course, even then a character doesn't HAVE to learn them, they just make things easier. A person who's gonna wield a sword and not really do much thinking in their daily work might know those two things, possibly some basic math, how to hit things with their sword and (usually) some common sense.

In-universe, a character's level of education would probably depend on their personal preferences or desires (or at least that of their parents if they're children), is I spose what I'm trying to say. :0
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:20 pm

AniaNova wrote:
not pointless things like algebra they will never use.

im gun cri

But on the serious side, I'd imagine that in a world with magitek, math and other science skills would be a bit more highly valued than the standard fantasy world, so I'd imagine most characters at least know a LITTLE bit.
I mean, education probably isn't standardized, but a good idea for edumacation can spread like wildfire.

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:43 pm

So should we discuss how the train system works here? :0
Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Sure. But what about it?

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Probably have tracks between major cities, maybe some smaller trains for little areas

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:02 pm

Magitek powered, yeah?

How long should it take to, say, go from coast to coast? :h
Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:07 pm

If we use my map, I'd say maybe a few days with stops in between. Magitek or no, train would probably need some maintenance along the way.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:15 pm

That said, most trips would prolly only be a couple hours or so depending on the distance :0

Should we try to at least maintain a vague schedule at the least? Stuff like "No more trains to here after 10PM" or whatever at least? :0
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technology/culture/society discussion   

Back to top Go down

Technology/culture/society discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Pre-Start Discussion Archive-
Jump to: