Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Timeline

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AniaNova

PostSubject: Timeline   Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

I wanted to put this here, so that once we get things thought out...we can begin setting a sequence of the events that have led to this point where everything converges and the Outsiders actually come to Adonia. I have no idea how we will begin this but I think it is something we could use so we have some sense of time in this world. Sooooo....yar.

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Zerdark
Emperor of the Multiverse

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:34 pm

AniaNova wrote:
If you really think about it, in the end, it may just be easier to do the current year and date. Sure it is unoriginal, but the concept of time is something that has been tweaked and changed over the course of thousands of years by all of mankind, and it is still imperfect. To completely recreate a new measurement of time, and new time line, might be too much work for this. I am all for putting the hours in but, after giving it some thought, it might be OVER working it. I say we pull an Elder Scrolls. We keep our years and time, but simple post new names over things like...months, days of the week, seasons etc. and so on. It would also give a good time frame of how long Adonia as a world, has been in this perceivable state, where the current dominant races "begin history". In short, "written records" only go back over the last 2000 years or so...and the rest is just hearsay. That gives a workable time frame for current events to date back..empires established and torn down. Royal lines created and living out to this time, etc. and so on. Our interactions after, or along side Smash's plot (however it works it) would be after the occurrence of the Big Bang. It was also my understanding that since these people are arriving on said Big Bang, it would be perceived by the Adonian's as well, if only in a small way...something to make that event noticeable to them, and there for draw attention to these new outsiders. They would KNOW they are outsiders, and thus, interactions between the natives of the land and those who came from another place would spawn as they come in contact whether that be good or bad. Both sides no doubt wary of the other. That sort of thing. This is something that affected the entire multiverse, and this place alone was not affected. I imagine they at least noticed.

I like this idea. Though since you mentioned pulling an Elder Scrolls, I can't help but think to their system for years. After an incredibly major event like the rise and fall of an empire, it's the ending of an era and the start of a new one. To use Oblivion and Skyrim as an example, their Third Era pretty much started and ended with the rule of the Septim dynasty. After the Oblivion Crisis and a new Emperor rose to power, it was the start of the Fourth Era, which is where Skyrim takes place. I was thinking that should we need to refer to events that take place before our current year (2015 for reference to those reading in the future), all the years up to year 1 would be contained within the current era. For the sake of discussion, we'll just call it the second era here. Everything before year one of the second era would be contained within the first era. Perhaps the current era started right after the Prime Dragons formed their council of sorts and brought peace to the world? All the fighting that went on before that would be contained in the previous era.

There might be records from previous eras such as mildly damaged scrolls or ancient carvings, but they'd probably be in an unrecognizable language to most races. Though it could be pretty cool if some dragons could recognize them. I imagine some dragons have a lifespan that could include multiple eras, like say the Prime Dragons. Hell, dragons could have their own language but learned the languages that the mortals use for better communication. Dragons are smart beings and could probably do that relatively quickly. For the sake of RP though, we don't actually have to make up and write anything in a dragon language. Maybe specify if two dragons are talking to each other in their own language and just type it in English at best. Zerdark will still be German (or Adonia's equivalent), I'm not going to go to Google translate and type his interactions in German. That'd be kinda dumb for a number of reasons.

http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Honestly, couldn't we keep the same old same old for the month names and stuff? I see no reason to obfuscate an already-working and reasonable system.

Apart from that, the year could just be set on same baseline event in history so it doesn't necessarily have to be 2015 in Adonia. Depends on what that history is; for example, BCE/CE's based on the biblical birthdate of Jesus, so something like that.

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:19 pm

Would rather we DO keep our current year :v

Also yeah, I say let's keep our current months and stuff.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:20 pm

I like the idea of different eras, although stuff like month names should probably stay the same, if only for convenience.

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:30 pm

I kinda like the idea of different month names and stuff and things buuut yeah that might prolly maybe be a bit too inconvenient >_>

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:32 pm

Some things do it...Ok, I guess? But then you get shit like Tactics Ogre where every month looks the exact same and you can't put any association on it.

And hell no to like...Zodiac months or shit like that.

Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Yeah let's please just keep the names the same for convenience.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:52 pm

I read a novel in which the months were different but very similar.

Jannic, Febric, Mairc, Apric, etc. (I don't remember what they were in the novel, so these are just made up)

But it's probably easier to keep them the same.

Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:15 pm

At that point it's a bit pointless, I think

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:28 pm

Yyyyeah at that point it'd sorta feel like changing it for the sake of changing it :0
Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:29 pm

Exactly. Which is why I say "why bother?". Just keep it the same and make it easy for everyone.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timeline   

Back to top Go down

Timeline
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Pre-Start Discussion Archive-
Jump to: