Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Suggestion for Flashback threads

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:23 am

Well, lemme see how to type this out...

While the actual organization of the threads is still up in the air (like if we're keeping the thread layout as is, changing stuff, etc.), I wanted to suggest a simple Flashback section.

While there are a couple of things that we as writers are 'carrying over' or starting with certain details already established (meaning certain relationships, how a character got into their current situation, etc.), I feel the circumstances in which those events happened might be interesting enough to write out. Thus, I'm proposing that we could have these things written out in the form of flashbacks and make a subforum for them (last part being Rid's idea).

This is still not a fully fleshed out idea, nor is it particularly important to worry about right now, but I figured I may as well write it up anyways. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Zerdark
Emperor of the Multiverse

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:12 pm

I'm all for it. Zerdark would already be starting out in a relationship with Robin, and I'd love to explore how they got there at some point. So as I am a biased individual, I will use this as my example to explain my ideas.

For how it works, I would suggest either two characters are talking (Example: Zerdark and Robin), One character is telling a story to others (Example: Robin tells a story to the Morgan twins), or one character is just thinking to himself/herself. (Example: Zerdark/Spy sitting somewhere). Any of these ideas could be used, but a link to the flashback topic itself should be edited into the last post of the build up interaction once the topic is created.

Once the build up interaction is completed, the flashback proper can begin. Once that happens, anything goes as long as you don't contradict the future and cause the destruction of the timeline. Though I imagine writers will discuss beforehand how the flashback itself will go in general. Once the flashback is over, it can go into a sort of finishing interaction between the original two characters talking, the storyteller wrapping up the story, or the one person daydreaming to have one last post.

As for organization, I like the subforum idea. Though this leads into two ideas for how it can work.

1: The flashback itself is contained into one thread and for flashbacks only, you can just timeskip to relevant destinations and keep going in the same thread without having to make an appropriate thread for the new location.

2: The subforum also has locations and we RP as we would normally.

I personally vote for the first option to keep things more simple. Just name the thread appropriately so everyone knows what's going on and describe the locations well enough, and the flashback threads should be fine on their own without being further segmented.

http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Yeeaahhh flashbacks seem like they'd work better with a thread per flashback instead of drawing them across location threads made for flashbacks >_>

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:25 pm

Yeah I was thinking the 1st option would be best.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:32 pm

About the buildup interaction thing, I don't think that's a necessary thing. Some, yes, but some of them are just for elaboration and don't really have a setup.

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:19 pm

True. That can be on a case by case basis. Not strictly mandatory.

http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Spitz
Conqueror
Conqueror

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm all for it.

The first option makes sense, actually. Think about it: most flashbacks in movies and the like generally skip any travel, and they just are there for the sake of speed. So I think working it like, say the character arcs would work out fine.

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:21 pm

You have to admit though, the Character Threads section kinda became a bit of a mess. :0
Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:25 pm

Would it have been better without the subsections?

If so, I apologize for adding them.

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:01 pm

It's not really that. More that the actual threads were kind of all over the place. Or something like that, it's a bit hard to explain :0
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:30 pm

The sections weren't used, is the issue.

Back to top Go down
Rideps1
Turtle Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:40 pm

Character threads weren't really unified enough for any sort of organization to work, really. While organizing them didn't help, it didn't really make them worse, either. The section was just kind of vague and flawed from the start.

As for this, clearly I'm ok with it since we already discussed it. Keep each flashback in its own topic, with flashbacks having their own subforum. If certain characters have a lot of them, maybe they could even get their own subforum.

Since it was brought up, with overall organization of the area: I still say every location in Drachurst should get its own subforum. If other countries end up getting used a lot, we can also make Drachurst its own subforum with all those original subforums within it, next to the subforums those other countries would get. Moving things around like that wouldn't be too rough later on. Each location would have a sticky topic made as it was created, giving a general layout and some notable locations (Which could be edited later to add more things), and then a few important location threads like highways and such would be made, and things would just open up. May seem a little too micromanage-y at first, but this is also the most versatile setup to allow for ease of RPing with the new setup. As an example, we don't have a designated residential area anymore. People might live... Just about anywhere. So, they just make their home topic in their location. Set. There'd also be specific shops on top of general market areas, etc etc... The more detail we go into, the more this will feel like a real world, even though it will probably be a lot of work to get used to.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:42 pm

There's an option somewhere to always display the OP, so that could be turned on and a description could be put into each OP.

Back to top Go down
Rideps1
Turtle Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:43 pm

I'll look for that after I sort out the bio section, I think. Would certainly be useful.
Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:44 pm

I don't mind that setup, though would things like routes connecting town to town have their own subforum too, or just be counted as separate or something?
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Done.

Back to top Go down
Rideps1
Turtle Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:48 pm

I BELIEVE there is a way to have threads shared between a location, but if there isn't then we'll just kind of have to set a defined border for that sort of thing and transition as usual.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:49 pm

I don't think there's such an option. However, transitions should probably take place in the thread of origin, and switch when a 'hard change' point has been reached.

Back to top Go down
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:25 am

I think a simple way to do it would be to do like you are talking about, with having a flashback sections. You could type up post or maybe even, have an interaction living out the flashback, which would be really neat. If it is an issue with posting locations...why not simply set that up initially? Every flashback has a set up..or a setting...so simply outline it as you begin the flashback/flashback interaction....maybe post a link to the location for reference...and then just have your flash back all ready just like that.
I don't really know how the sections of things work with the inner workings of the site. I simply. Organization shouldn't be too hard.

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:23 pm

Isn't that what we were saying?

Some of them have lead-ins in the actual present topics
And then a topic for the flashback is created in the flashback section
And that's where the stuff goes
Location would mostly be 'marked' at points in the topic, in transitional form and such

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for Flashback threads   

Back to top Go down

Suggestion for Flashback threads
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Pre-Start Discussion Archive-
Jump to: