Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Topic of dying withing the RP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AniaNova

PostSubject: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:12 pm

In the very early stages of the Adonia switch, we discussed there being a form of respawn for characters...so we can in fact, lose entirely to situations without always having to retreat which can be against charcter, and without losing our characters to death. The concept we came up with was that outsiders would be unable to die, as though they were players in a game. However so many characters are now mixed between being outsiders and Adonian natives that I have been thinking on revisions. Instead of all that, I propose this new idea. This would knock out two birds with one stone, so to speak. I have been thinking of a way to bring my favorite character, and character name into the RP, while still doing it justice, as I have been using the name since my earliest years RPing with my dad and his friends while we played DnD. I am of course talking about Aeonia.

My idea is that instead of making it so that Outsiders have a respawn, we make it so that there is a powerful entity(not a goddess or anything like that) that has small shrines and a few larger ones, all over the world, that are dedicated to the sanctity of Adventure itself. This entity serves as a guardian for adventurers, who upon taking the title of Adventurer can request her blessing at any shrine. With the blessing of the Lady/Matron Aeonia, any adventurer about to fall in battle will instead awaken at her nearest Shrine. This will not completely heal you, only save you from death, and any mortal wounds. This would leave a period of weakness and recovery time. For a more powerful effect, adventurers can acquire one time use icons or symbols imbued with the blessings of the Lady Aeonia, to where if you are about to fall in battle, it will shatter and heal you to an extent. Any ideas or opinions on the idea would be appreciated.

Last edited by AniaNova on Fri May 22, 2015 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:28 pm

I thought respawn was temporary for the sole purpose of a plot?

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:33 pm

We also discussed a general form of re-spawning characters to avoid risking the lives of characters we don't want to die yet. When we begin Smush' plot we will do so in accordance to his 3 count rule, however when we begin fully RPing in the new world, we will need a way to protect characters from death, since they will not be as powerful, and will be at greater risk than in the previous universe. This respawn would only apply to death through battle, and adventurers are not required to request the blessing. This will prevent people from wanting a character to die, and being unable to kill them.

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:36 pm

To be honest, the idea of giving a select group of characters the ability to cheat death multiple times kinda rubs me the wrong way, but I don't really have any reasoning or whatnot other than that, so I'll delegate this to others. :v

Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:38 pm

It suppose it could work, but if so I feel like there should be more than one type of respawn point. Not every character will be an adventurer and whose to say they won't end up in potentially fatal situations just because they're not fighters?

Also wouldn't that make your unkillable character's immortal schtick pointless? :V

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:44 pm

A lot of the characters in the RP are adventurers, and thus are more likely to come in contact with death, through battle. This does not protect them, as I stated, from every fatal situation. This is not granting immortality. Still it is possible to lose in this RP, where as it wasn't before. Do you really want to kill off the characters you work hard on because someone else is a clever dungeon master?

Back to top Go down
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:47 pm

All this is doing, is protecting Adventurers from complete death in battle. You can still beat them back and defeat them. They can still be killed by a piano falling out of the sky, or being poisoned, or old age even. Any other situation they would have died in, they still will, just not in battle. Even so, it's not like they resurrect and go back to fighting. They are brought back to a shrine that is far away and are in a weakened state, having just barely dodged death.

Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:47 pm

We had a rule that you're not allowed to permanently screw up someone's character without their permission, which is something I was hoping would still be in effect.

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:48 pm

What Steak just said.

Back to top Go down
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Yes, and of course that still applies, but would you really rather someone bring up an insurmountable situation and characters can never lose? Or face something down they can't overcome?

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:51 pm

I'd assume we're reasonable enough to not trap characters in an insurmountable situation, since that means certain death or alteration, which violates the rule.

Back to top Go down
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:52 pm

You guys are looking at this like it means those characters can just wildly flail themselves off a cliff and just wake up and walk away a moment later. This gives the opportunity for characters to face problems and lose sometimes.

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:52 pm

It's possible to lose without dying.

Back to top Go down
Zerdark
Emperor of the Multiverse

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 7:55 pm

Seems like your standard MMO resurrection to me. Resurrect at nearest shrine/medcenter/whatever with temporary debuff and/or broken equipment. I'm down. Though I'm not sure about having to take the title Adventurer. Maybe instead there can be like a low level quest or something for new characters and at the end of it they receive the blessing and maybe a small amount of those icons. Maybe you can buy more somewhere too.

http://ciphersyndicate.forumotion.com/t2486-employee-lounge
Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 8:11 pm

To me it just feels way too contrived and video gamey. Also, this feature is supposed to be run by a character? Does that mean she'll just stop respawning you if you piss her off?

Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Zerdark

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 8:14 pm

I don't think you'd really be interacting with this character enough to get the chance to piss her off in the first place, but that's just my interpretation. Also all respawn systems I've ever seen are contrived. Just my opinion, but if we're going to implement a respawn system, I don't think we're going to fix the problem of contrivance.

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Zerdark wrote:
Also all respawn systems I've ever seen are contrived. Just my opinion, but if we're going to implement a respawn system, I don't think we're going to fix the problem of contrivance.

yeeaahhh

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 8:18 pm

The only storytelling purpose I can see this having is allowing you to kill off someone else's character, which would have no dramatic impact anyway since they can just come back.

Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Death-chan
Libero
Libero

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 8:19 pm

I kind of like the finality of death. I mean, if you know you will get respawned, characters would have a reason to be reckless where caution may be urged. So therefore respawning would work best if the characters didn't know about it, which... And I know the writers would know about it, but when we reach the in-universe level, it really strikes me as problematic.

Also, since stories would spread about adventurers coming back to life instead of falling in combat... I don't know what the repercussions would be.

As writers, I think we can manage a situation without needing to let characters die and come back to life an unspecified number of times. This would just make near-death worse than actual death, because someone can die from an injury weeks after the battle ends but not in battle.

And near-death can be pretty dramatic too. We don't need to make a character die to show how crafty the dungeon is.

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 8:21 pm

Destin von Tod wrote:
I kind of like the finality of death. I mean, if you know you will get respawned, characters would have a reason to be reckless where caution may be urged. So therefore respawning would work best if the characters didn't know about it, which... And I know the writers would know about it, but when we reach the in-universe level, it really strikes me as problematic.

Also, since stories would spread about adventurers coming back to life instead of falling in combat... I don't know what the repercussions would be.

As writers, I think we can manage a situation without needing to let characters die and come back to life an unspecified number of times. This would just make near-death worse than actual death, because someone can die from an injury weeks after the battle ends but not in battle.

And near-death can be pretty dramatic too. We don't need to make a character die to show how crafty the dungeon is.

Actually, these are fair points...

Go crazy.
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Yeah, while I DO kinda like the idea of this system and I DO think it could possibly be worked out so it wouldn't end up being overused, it just really seems like it'd be a lot more problematic than it would be if we were to just write reasonably challenging situations that are losable without having to resort to killing said loser. :v

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
AniaNova

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   Fri May 22, 2015 9:03 pm

The proposal was for a system that punished, while allowing characters to learn from otherwise fatal mistakes...and to come back to overcome something that was previously impossible for them, through the process of learning and training. You guys don't see it that way, so fine we'll wash the idea. We'll leave the topic up for reference.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Topic of dying withing the RP   

Back to top Go down

Topic of dying withing the RP
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Pre-Start Discussion Archive-
Jump to: