Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Status Conditions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:28 pm

Poison
Generally weakens victim and slowly drains their health; exact effect varies depending on the poison. Most can be countered by basic Antidotes or a visit to a Cleric.

Sleep
Victim forcibly falls asleep and is unable to act for some time. Deeper sleep can only be awakened from with certain items such as smelling salts, or waiting until it goes away naturally.

Paralysis
The victim is stunned and unable to move easily for some time. Chance of occurring with some electric-elemental attacks, a few physical attacks, and a specific spell. Certain herbs and medicines can cure it. Cannot be cured by time.

Freeze
The victim is frozen in a block of ice and unable to move at all. Chance of occurring with most ice-element attacks. Careful usage of fire, specific mixes of certain ingredients or time can cure it.

Burn
The victim is burned, receiving periodic damage until healed. Most fire-element attacks and some light-element attacks, as well as a specific spell, can cause it. Applied ice or water can temporarily halt the burning; certain herbs, potions, or spells are needed to cure it completely. Hellfire burns are much rarer, but also much harder, if not impossible to cure.

Petrify
The victim is petrified, completely unable to move until healed. Relatively rare. Soft spells or potions will counter it. WARNING: Shattering a petrified victim will kill them!

Confuse
The victim is confused, and will randomly attack the enemy, their own allies, themselves, or even nothing at all. Goes away with time, healing spells or certain fruits.

Control
The victim is completely under the caster's control, acting as a puppet. Relatively rare. Defeating the caster is often the best way to cure it.

Transformation
The victim is transformed into someone or something else, either temporarily or permanently. Frogs are one of the most common forms. Polymorphists, very skilled general mages, and certain monsters are generally the only ones able to inflict this condition, making it rare. Depending on the type of spell, the user will either retain their original mind or have it altered to match their form. Temporary transformations go away with time; permanent ones can only be cured by the original caster or another skilled Polymorphist.

Leech
The victim is attached to by a creature or object that slowly begins to drain them and take it for themselves. Health, magic, intelligence, and even items can be taken. Defeating or otherwise detaching the leecher stops the status and in some cases, returns what they stole.

Blank
The victim develops temporary amnesia, the severity of which depends on the strength of whatever causes it. Often limited to only forgetting spells or battle abilities, but can extend to total forgetfulness. Status healing spells and time are the only ways to heal it.

Terrified
The victim briefly becomes irrationally terrified and refuses to step into battle or attack.

Curse
A very general status that can alter just about anything depending on the curse. The most common curse weakens the victim until the curse is lifted, but many, many other curses exist, each with unique effects. Can be afflicted by cursed equipment. Holy healing is generally the best way to remove curses, although weaker ones go away by themselves after a while.

Blind
The victim is temporarily blinded, unable to see their attackers, allies, or environment in the midst of battle. Some fighters take the chance and continue attacking blindly, but risk attacking their own teammates. Goes away after a while, or by using medicinal eye drops.

Gamble
A special status that randomly has a positive or negative effect on the target. Goes away immediately after the effect. Rare.

Charm
The victim is charmed, becoming attracted to the caster, and as a result completely distracted. Stronger charms even convince the victim to join the caster in battle and attack their own allies. Defeating the caster and status healing spells cure it. Physical blows also work for weaker charms.

Enrage
The victim is completely enraged and will focus exclusively on attacking wildly without strategy, sometimes on one specific target.

Slow
The victim is severely slowed down in battle. Time Mages, certain monsters, and skilled general mages can inflict this.

Fast
The target is severely sped up in battle. Time Mages, certain monsters, and skilled general mages can inflict this.

Stop
The target is frozen in time and unable to move at all until unfrozen either after a certain amount of time or if the caster undoes it/is defeated.

Shield
The target is temporarily protected by a magical shield that helps soften the blows from physical damage. The shield breaks with enough damage or after a certain amount of time has passed.

Barrier
The target is temporarily protected by a magical shield that weakens magic damage. The shield breaks with enough damage or after a certain amount of time has passed.

Reflector
A special barrier is placed on the target that deflects all spells and ranged attack for a limited time.

Blessed
Temporarily prevents all negative status conditions.

Hyper
The target receives increased power and speed for a limited time.

Virus
Causes various detrimental effects, including poison and sleep as well as various debuffs. Can be passed on to others until cured.

Restrict
The target is restrained and unable to act while slowly taking damage.

Seal
The target is sealed and unable to use any magic or special abilities.

KO
The target is unconscious. Can be revived fairly easily, most of the time.

Killed
The target is dead and cannot be easily revived.

Doom
The target is placed under a special curse that places them on a time limit. If the time runs out, depending on the severity of the spell, they will either fall unconscious or die. Defeating the caster is the only way to dispel the curse.

Last edited by SmashBasher123 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Yikkin
Mister Doctor Professor Yikkario

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:47 pm

Transformation

Ayy, Katrina's secondary specialty

Looks good. No objections from me.

But what does shattering mean here?

Petrify
The victim is petrified, completely unable to move until healed. Relatively rare. Soft spells or potions will counter it. WARNING: Shattering a petrified victim will kill them!

My Bios

"We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville."
Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:10 pm

As in shattering them?

Because they're turned to stone?
Back to top Go down
OyutheGaggles
Oyuoyuoyuoyu

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:15 pm

no, it clearly means liquifying them

I'd totally buy this for five bucks. In the black market. On Steam Greenlight. During a flash sale.
Back to top Go down
http://notpotatoes.weebly.com/
Yikkin

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:02 pm

The way you worded it made it sound easy, sorreh.

My Bios

Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:04 pm

So the death stuff is basically flavor unless someone agrees to kill their character off, right? That's what we decided on before.

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Yikkin

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:11 pm

SmashBasher123 wrote:

Doom
The target is placed under a special curse that places them on a time limit. If the time runs out, depending on the severity of the spell, they will either fall unconscious or die. Defeating the caster is the only way to dispel the curse.

This may be applicable at some point for me. Slightly edited, though.

My Bios

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:27 pm

Delicious_Fsteak wrote:
So the death stuff is basically flavor unless someone agrees to kill their character off, right? That's what we decided on before.

There's a part of me that wants to set some sort of resurrection system so that it's possible for bosses and whatnot to have surprise kill shots and not permanently take out anyone, but part of the problem with that is it's likely that it takes the person out of commission for the entirety of the battle, which is the lamest part of it.
So it's probably just for flavor, though it does mention 'revival' so it's possible that when someone agrees to let a character die, that it isn't absolutely permanent.

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:40 pm

Laonoone wrote:
Delicious_Fsteak wrote:

There's a part of me that wants to set some sort of resurrection system so that it's possible for bosses and whatnot to have surprise kill shots and not permanently take out anyone, but part of the problem with that is it's likely that it takes the person out of commission for the entirety of the battle, which is the lamest part of it.
So it's probably just for flavor, though it does mention 'revival' so it's possible that when someone agrees to let a character die, that it isn't absolutely permanent.

I see where you're coming from but IMO just going "BOOM you're dead now kthx" wouldn't really be fun for anyone involved, plus having some random resurrection spell would remove any meaning death would otherwise have. Just being knocked out would have the same immediate consequence. Or something.

My Japanese name: 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean) 山下 Yamashita (under the mountain)
Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:52 pm

Delicious_Fsteak wrote:

I see where you're coming from but IMO just going "BOOM you're dead now kthx" wouldn't really be fun for anyone involved, plus having some random resurrection spell would remove any meaning death would otherwise have. Just being knocked out would have the same immediate consequence. Or something.

Well, there are a few cases where it isn't really death but it isn't something you can just KO someone for, like if some big snake or another had a petrifying gaze, the only way to make one aware of that is to get hit by it, really. But I see your point as well, and I agree that that's no fun and pointless.

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:53 pm

It's kinda the problem with an RP like this, really.

No one wants to permanently kill off their characters, but easy revival means there's not really any consequence for death either and it kinda lessens the impact :V

My suggestion, if anything, would be a super limited period of time where a person COULD be revived under certain conditions (IE, has to be within an hour or so of death, involves using a rather rare item that not anyone can easily access, and the body has to be intact enough for the revival to stick and not just have someone die of their body's wounds anyways.

Dunno how anyone else would feel about an idea like that though.
Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:26 pm

Well, now that presents the issue of people being too far away from places where they can be revived, which is probably very likely considering dungeons are dungeons. Though that's just the time limit condition proposed more than the others. Personally, I'd imagine magical/similar deaths would be more common than deaths by trauma, since we don't have too many super-duper-strong things around compared to things that hit with really big magic and stuff.
Honestly, the problem in general with requiring resurrection and just killing people temporarily is that it still knocks people out of commission for a period of time and nobody really wants to consent to that.

Back to top Go down
Rideps1
Turtle Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:29 pm

Basically if we have revival in place, we get Aeris stuff. WHY CAN'T WE JUST PHOENIX DOWNS?

The solution is just good writing. Don't outright kill people. You can heal nearly fatal things that sound just as painful as one hit kills. Otherwise you've just got people running around with a ton of revival items and either A: Doing stupid shit and reviving themselves, or B: screwing up you trying to actually kill someone off.
Back to top Go down
Yikkin

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:36 pm

I ran into this issue with Ina. I didn't wanna kill her off, but there had to be a springboard. So the things that happened happened and I tried to write it as best I could without going into too much detail.

My Bios

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:38 pm

The main issue is that with no killing there's not really much tension in dangerous situations since you know everyone's gonna survive (barring a secret plan to kill someone off or something), since even just being KO'd isn't really that bad in comparison. I don't really mind either way but y'know :v

On another note, full party KO still kinda has the issue of who the heck takes everyone to safety before whatever KO'd them (or something else) decides to do worse. :0
Back to top Go down
Rideps1
Turtle Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:42 pm

Permenent injuries can still be a thing at least, look at that out of nowhere de-limbing I had in Cipher. I worked with it. It's just, our environment and the way we write, it's not a good idea to try and do actual kills without solid plans in place. These aren't RNG rolled characters who we then threw backstories at or anything, we get attached before we even put the stuff down in writing for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:43 pm

See, I'm fine with being knocked out for the rest of the fight or whatever if there's no lasting consequence as long as it was the player's fault. If it's something unavoidable it comes off as really cheap, whereas being preventable by not being a dumbass makes it more puzzle-y, which is a-ok in my book.

Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Delicious_Fsteak
Furfrou with a tophat
Furfrou with a tophat

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:46 pm

Also there should be penalties for failure but it doesn't have to be for the characters. Like, they fail to save some NPC's life or whatevs.

Stay calm and derjpop
Awakening:

ARE YOU READY?:

QFT:

Back to top Go down
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:47 pm

Well, that's the hard part, is unarguably making it the other person's fault without room for objection and stuff.

Back to top Go down
SmashBasher123
Storyteller

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:33 am

I like how we had this discussion in a topic about status conditions and didn't even finish it :0
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Status Conditions   

Back to top Go down

Status Conditions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Information/Vault :: Misc. Data-
Jump to: