Cipher Syndicate
Hello there! You've reached the (former) Cipher Syndicate!

We're not accepting new members anymore, unfortunately.
Cipher Syndicate

A merry band of roleplayers cavorting around in a land called Adonia

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Fabulae Finis

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laonoone
Quis Sum
Quis Sum
Laonoone

Fabulae Finis Empty
PostSubject: Fabulae Finis   Fabulae Finis Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 6:22 pm

Fabulae Finis K74w17k
There was nothing else in the sky, neither above nor below. This much was known, from an eternity of observation and understanding. The sole occupant, living in a house that was all-too-big and tending to an island explored many times over, didn't mind. This was all she needed, all she wanted. It was enough. It was hers.
It would be a surprise for sure when she went to check on the windmills and found a man sleeping by them.
She roused him there, both wary and curious; he was dressed in an traveler's outfit, but carried nothing with him. He woke easily, looking around before settling his gaze on the woman in front of him, who wore a long, red robe and a small, hidden pendant. He blinked twice, rubbed his eyes, and stood up shakily.
"So," he spoke, his voice much more stable than his footing. "I have a lot of questions."
The woman smiled faintly, nodding in understanding. "Sure, sure, but answer this one first please: Do you remember anything?"
Her voice sounded hoarse and ancient for a moment, as if it hadn't been used in a long time. As she spoke, it would become more clear.
The man rubbed his neck, apparently having to mull it over. "Uh, let's see, I don't know my name, or yours, don't know where or what this place is, do know what I was taught when I was a kid, but I don't actually remember being a kid. Weird, huh? Long story short, it's the good old 'I don't know crap about you or me.' Yeah."
The woman chuckled quietly. "That's about what I figured..."
"So you're the same way?"
"Only a little. This place doesn't have a name, but, uh, it's all there is, so why don't we just call it the world?"
"What?"
"Look around."
He did, and staggered as he realized what kind of landmass he'd found himself on. "That's the sky. We're on a flying rock."
"Mmhm. But it's my flying rock, so don't be mean to it." She said teasingly.
"O'course. Is that your home over there?" He recovered quickly enough.
"Yup. There's nobody else there, though, it's just big."
"I see. It's a very nice home."
The woman smiled pleasantly. "Thank you."
"So..."
She said nothing, waiting for him to finish. He didn't lead anywhere with it until the woman motioned for him to go on, and he proceeded with some awkwardness.
"I dunno where to go or what to do now. Am I, uh, is it okay if I, y'know, stay with you?"
"Where else are you going to sleep?"
"I mean..." He gestured at the imprint of his body on the grass.
She grimaced, looking sheepish. "Sorry that you were there so long."
He waved it off, and put his hands akimbo, looking around again. "I might not mind that much, thinking about it."
"It still rains here."
"Never mind then."
She looked amused, and started to walk towards the house on the other side of the island. "Come along now, you must be hungry."
He followed without question, indeed hungry now that the woman had mentioned it.
---
The house seemed much bigger up close. Four structures, three buildings. For one person? Practically insane.
"How many of these rooms are empty?" He asked, turning round in the yard to take it all in once more.
"Not that many, actually. I have a lot of... Memora... Memorabla..." She seemed to struggle for the word.
"Memorabilia?"
She sighed. "Yes, thank you."
"How long has it been since you had someone to talk to?"
"I-it's not that, I've..." She hesitated, embarrassed. "I've always been bad with big words..."
"I see." He shrugged. "Not a big deal. Not like you need them here."
"I suppose you're right... But yes, I have a lot of memorabilliards."
"I see." He said without emotion.
They were quiet for a moment, before the woman stated, "You must have been a practical man."
"I guess. Who knows, I could've been a king, I could've been a beggar. It doesn't matter anymore. For all I know this is heaven."
"No... I wish it was heaven, but no." She sounded sad for a moment, and while the man caught it, he said nothing.
She recovered shortly, and they wandered up to the house together.
---
The meal was simple, and apparently magical in nature, for there was meat on his plate, despite there not being an animal in sight. Conjured or not, it tasted right and left him feeling full at the end of it. He had dined alone, as the woman had left to do something in other rooms after wishing up the food.
So he sat for a while, just looking around the room. It was the entirety of the first floor, something he wasn't used to seeing. One corner held a very small kitchen, one held a miniature library, complete with a large chair facing a gentle fireplace. Another corner housed the staircase, and the other held nothing at all. In the center, where he sat, was a massive round table, with nine chairs around it. It had enough circumference for maybe thirty or more, however, and he felt absolutely dwarfed by the table. He couldn't help but imagine with kind of enormous family would be able to use this entire table.
His gaze went back to the reading corner, and to the four shelves flanking the fireplace. They were lined with books, some bearing titles such as "The Pink Crocodile" and "A Drachurstian Fable", others bearing arcane symbols practically shimmering with magical energy. He looked at the fireplace again, and noticed a small lightning bolt plated onto the mantle. He looked around again and noticed a small flame plated above the kitchen in the same way. He wondered briefly as to their meanings, when the woman came back down, carrying a small journal. She sat a few seats away from him, and opened the journal on the table. This book, too, was magical, an impossible number of pages turning as she searched for her most recent page.
"Here," she said, stopping the pages. "I was writing about today in my journal, but... I got stopped by a few moments ago. I can't write about you without having a name for you, after all..." She looked up at him with a vague expression.
"I told you, I don't remember."
"Why not make a new one?"
"John Doe."
"Alright, funny man."
"Why don't you tell me yours, actually? I could get an idea from that."
"Call me the Owner."
"That's not a name. That's like calling me the Guest."
"What's wrong with that?"
"Okay, you needed human contact for sure. How about this: we'll make those into real names. You can be Onah, and I'll be Gest. O-N-A-H and G-E-S-T. Sound good?"
"I... Didn't think of that. I think I like it." Onah smiled, looking a little embarrassed but pleased overall.
Gest nodded in confirmation. "There you go. Plus, they're little words." His eyes twinkled with mirth as he said this, his mouth barely crooking into a smile.
"Oh, you're mean!" She flicked a small spark of static at him, huffing in mock indignation. "Don't make me throw you off my island!"
He shrugged again, this time fully smiling.
Later, he was given a small, simple room on the second floor to use, and they both retired to their respective rooms before nightfall, unsure of what to talk about.
---
Several days would pass, without much sound other than the noise of movement and everyday life. They were mostly independent of each other, with some sharing of duties and amicable silence on the first floor. Onah brought down a second chair for Gest to sit in the library even when she was there, and many hours passed as they read. Over time, Gest began to notice the books changing on the shelf, replaced every now and then by a different novel or tome.
Other than that, everything was static and honestly quite humdrum. It was, he imagined, like living on a farm but without an actual farm to tend. It was certainly idyllic, and he never grew too bored of staring out into the sea of clouds, but he grew idle.
Days became weeks, weeks became months, and eventually those months became a full year. Gest felt more and more like he had fallen into an incredible rut, and he expressed this sentiment at dinner the night of the 'anniversary'.
Onah smiled, a bit of a sad smile, giving a surprisingly grave nod. "That's why this isn't heaven. Nothing changes, not even the books; that's just some teleportation stuff. It's the best hell that's ever been made for me."
"I think I can see why. Is there any way to get out of here? Maybe there's another world, like in those fantasy books."
She shook her head. "There's nothing else, not even in the past. It's all gone."
She then froze for a moment, an expression of realization coming to her. "But, then how are you here?" She mumbled. Then she shook her head again, as if to clear her thoughts away. "Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud. It doesn't matter anyways."
"It's okay. Say, Onah, what's the pendant?" Gest asked out of sudden curiosity. She had always worn it, but he'd never seen the end of it. "Any reason you keep it under there all the time?"
"Oh, just out of emotion." She said offhandedly, grasping the chain and pulling it out. Attached at the center was a faintly orange-colored stone, shaped like a heart. "It belonged to an old, special friend. We met when I was just a kid."
"Ah, okay. Memorabilliards, right?" He smirked.
She nodded without catching the joke. "I can't even remember her face anymore, so this is all I have." Sadness gripped her face after saying that, and she looked down, grasping at her robe. "I... I can't see it..."
"Onah..."
"Right, right, sorry." She said firmly, more to herself as she forced it down.
"At least I'm here, right? Someone else is here."
"Not for long enough..." She muttered bitterly, putting her hands back on the table, balled into partial fists.
"What?"
"I'll outlive you too, you know..."
"...Oh. Here I thought..."
"I'm just immortal."
She said 'immortal' casually, but there must have been an eternity of vitriol behind it.
"What about the here and now then? It doesn't matter since I'll die relatively soon, right?"
"That's not..."
"What about kids? If it's natural, couldn't you pass it on? Or if it's magic; just let me have it too!"
"G-gest!" She stammered, her eyes wide.
"Don't give me that! I'm stuck here, too! Let me help you through it, okay?"
"Gest... I can't."
"Why not?"
She was silent, a melancholy silence that stretched for several seconds, and Gest began to feel guilt over his outburst. Never mind that he had just admitted to being willing to sleep with her, that would have been catastrophic in any situation.
"I want to show you something." Onah finally said, standing and heading to the stairs. Gest followed her upstairs, and they went to the third floor, where Onah slept.
"Here." She said, opening a door at the end of the hall. As it opened, it seemed like an eternity of emotion spilled from it, and a sense of timelessness pervaded the air. The air was dusty in here, the light turning grey as it filled the room.
Two beds sat against the back wall, facing the door. They were small, fit for children, and each had an embossment on the headboard. One with a full moon, and the other with a sun.
Onah pointed at the sun bed. "That one was for my niece. The other..."
Gest looked at her, already knowing the answer.
"That was... My son's." Her voice trailed away, sounding distant and weary.
Gest didn't say anything. There were no more words that he could really say.
They went back to the librariette, wrapped in a heavy silence. For an hour or so, they simply read, putting the conversation behind them, leaving it to the past. Then they went to bed, both inwardly hoping that the next day would maybe be different.

What do you think of the planetarium?
That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All of the stars in all of the skies are waiting for you.

Back to top Go down

Fabulae Finis
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cipher Syndicate :: Important Events and Noncanon :: Non-Canon :: What If?-
Jump to: